Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Potpourri............."

Welcome to the second shift;
I've noticed something in the past few times that I have went out with my little sign and stood on the curb, there have been almost no more cases of redneck morons shouting "get a job" as they head on by, often throwing beer cans or empty crack vials at me...most were construction workers, more than likely laborers, not skilled tradesmen, (from personal experience, I have found that the more experienced workers, with some time in the trade, have been more sympathetic and tolerant, whether they chose to donate cash or not, they often shared their lunches and gave bottles of water on hot days. Their having lived through a recession before, they were more sensitive to the possibility that someone they knew could very well end up in the same boat I am, and talking to them I learned that they were themselves often only 3 or 4 paychecks away from being caught up in the mortgage maelstrom. I talked to a lot of these guys last year on a daily basis who were working on one project or another in town, and would pass by on the way home, often in northern Baltimore County, or Southern Pennsylvania, and they said that the first to go when layoffs started were the smug self righteous loudmouths who had no real skills other than a weak mind and a strong back. I actually saw one of those guys at the D.S.S. one morning, I was going to go introduce myself, but I decided, why kick a man when he's down, and just kept looking his way with a kind of half-ass grin.....(I know, I know...never said I was perfect...but...better to let him wonder 'WTF?', than rub his face in it).

There is one guy, I think, but I'm not certain, that he is the man who lives under the pile of 'debris' next to the Light Rail by the old Union Station..see earlier posts..He takes a lawn chair and places it facing a wall ,or a monument, or statue, in the Mt Royal/Cultural Center/U of B/State Center area. He is only inches away from whatever he faces, and seems to tune out the world, or is living in his own world that only intersects our world at intervals, I took some of the sandwiches that were given to me and left them behind his chair. He did not acknowledge me, and I was trying for stealth, so as not to be noticed and embarrass or upset him,...but I saw him reach back and take one and begin to eat it, all the while still staring at the wall, and having his own quietly mumbled conversation.
Hermits, monks, and Holy men, through out man's history have a tradition of being fed and cared for this way......kinda makes you think how thin the line between genius and insanity really is. Being prone to periods of self enforced isolation, and having experienced the social and cultural 'shunning' due to pre-conceived notions of what "Homelessness" IS.....I felt for this guy, sometimes you take escape, however you can manage it. Sometimes it requires chemical assistance. For some, the creation of a place no one can reach, inside your own mind that becomes more real than this world, is the answer......that's what got me through the surreal ghetto world of prison.
I'm back again, the Ex brought Rachel to the library for a few minutes, I had not seen her since last week due to the Passover holiday, and we played Dress-up Barbie.com, only..it's some Japanese site and the 'Barbies' look like typical anime teen age girls of the 'Sailor Moon' mold....she had fun though, and the outfits!!! especially on the princess models...Jeez....I gotta get laid when io start getting turned on by anime..(no matter HOW hot they are....Bad Dave..slapslapslap).[LOL]
So I registered Rachel's Enoch Pratt Free Library card with BCPL, now I can use it to sign on when I use up all MY sessions...that's a minimum of 6 hours a day on the computer if I can get the time, and on a slow day, easily 9 hours!! Unless Rachel's here of course. Now I've got no excuse NOT to babble..LOL.
Yeah, but if it does not rain tomorrow, I've got to get to the laundromat! I've had the money for a couple days, just not the ambition..nothing like waiting 'til you put on the last pair of shorts and socks...LOL!
I may even hit the corner again, it's the 15th..payday...I'll take any advantage I can get, it's time to make arrangements for the next weeks meds, instead of waiting until the last dose and stressing out. And I gotta admit, as I've said before, there is something attractive and seductive about standing out there and talking to people and then having some of them give me money, Hell, I can even rationalize it to the effect that I'm doing them a service by letting either fufill an instruction or commandment to perform acts of charity, or, assuage their conscience for whatever reason they may have. I just stand in silent appeal...no arms are twisted..nobody's gotta give anything....I just meet their eyes, smile, and incline my head in a nod of acknowledgement...and that is all I "EXPECT!!" in return.....anything else is up to you.
Oh..there is a new twist being added to the "ho-bots" who are replying to my CL ad..."Hi..My name is 'Bimborella' and I'm a little drunk...you sound cute...hit me up".......once maybe,....but 4 of the same exact message with different names...RRIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!
I'm out of here for now.....I may be back....it's one of those kind of days...LOL
seeya..................Dave

No comments: