Sunday, November 11, 2012

"D.S.S. Drama...................Shaking, Not Stirred....................."

Good Evening;
So....on Thursday I stopped by the City Papers offices and saw Evan, and picked up an advance on this coming Wednesday's column. This was a totally unexpected and unasked for windfall because I wasn't going to bother him for any money this week.
After leaving Mt. Vernon I took the subway to Mondawmin and the bus down Reisterstown Rd. to the Northwest D.S.S. office to reactivate my Foodstamps & TDAP and re-certify my Medical Assistance benefits. It was crowded and insane when I got there about 2:00 pm., with two of the security guards physically escorting a shouting woman out the door as her companion was cussing out half a dozen clients as she gathered up their belongings. It was a scene right off the TV screens from one of the black sitcoms on Channels 24 or 54 with a very large woman  getting to her feet, wagging her finger, and shouting "No she 'di'int'..." as the rest of the room hooted and hollered and shouted encouragement..."You Go Girl!" & "And that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!" other words a typical day at Social Services.

I had grabbed an application when I was there last week and had it already filled out so I was able to skip one of the most time consuming phases and only waited an hour before I was called. Since I was already in the computer system that shaved another 15 minutes or so off the time when my name was called to meet with one of the intake people. By this point my anxiety and paranoia were at a point where the mania  of the BPD Type II was counteracting them except for a steady shaking in my right hand that wouldn't stop unless I grabbed and held it with the left, (which made the dozen and a half forms I had to sign loads of fun), and the intermittent stutter was coming and
The woman who was processing my information, (who I wanted to mention and thank publicly and whose name has completely slipped my mind) was more than kind and beyond patient. She took shortcuts without cutting corners and actually made suggestions on how to avoid redundancy on the paperwork. After photocopying and entering into my file the copies of the S.S.I. receipt and my letter from one of my caseworkers at H.C.H. with permission to use their address as a mailing address she returned the originals time and date stamped. She expedited the Foodstamps telling me they should be available on the Independence Card in 5-7 days. I have to get to my Doctor and get a medical form filled out by her for the T.D.A.P. and M.A.

I was out of there in about 90 minutes, which is damn near miraculous, and stopped at the Giant in Reisterstown Road Plaza while changing buses. It was nice to pick up some real food instead of having to scrape together whatever seemed to still be edible and combine them to create dishes which were half culinary and half chemical

Friday was a strange day. I woke up at 5:00 am. and could not get back to sleep for more than 30 minutes at a stretch, which lasted until about 8:00 am. when I got up and out of bed. I ended up not leaving here all day and took naps at 3 different times. Just for shits and giggles I called the # for getting the balance on the Independence Card Friday night, and 'lo and behold'... there is money available on the EBT-food part. After debating with myself whether or not to walk down to the Safeway until it was too late to go out I ended up falling asleep in the chair in front of the TV for hours, then stumbling back to the bedroom, where I woke up as soon as I lay down. After finally getting to sleep it was a very interrupted night.
Saturday I was up and out of bed by 7:30 am., NOT by choice! I really did not have anywhere to go or do today, and felt almost guilty because of it. To take advantage of the nice weather and get a little bit of exercise at least, I wandered down to the Safeway in the early afternoon. It felt good to be able to buy some groceries at least one time without worrying about cost! Not to say I ignored the 50% off, BOGO, Clearance, or Discontinued opportunities, but being able to buy an item because I liked/wanted it simply because I did was a treat. Now I have actual food for meals, instead of just bread and lunchmeat and chips, for the week.

Lauren texted me yesterday and told me her dad had just transitioned into a nursing home and it looked to be another month before he will be returning home, which should be about December 7th, so I have 4 weeks or so to try to figure out my next move.

Okay, now to see if I can get to sleep........


No comments: