Thursday, December 4, 2008

Skippped A Day

So I seem to have skipped a day, in my attempt to keep this journal. It is said that "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" but I seem to suffer from both PROCRASTINATION!!, and, a frequent difficulty in motivating myself. I've been informed that these are symptons of my depression AND a contributing factor IN my depression, talk about a self perpetuating cycle of madness. Add into that my male PMS...aka CRS ( can't remember shit ) and it makes for one hell of a mix. Hey at least I've still got my twisted sense of humor.
Wednesday, some one I've been trying to figure out how to meet stoped and made small talk with me, and today (Thursday) stopped to talk again, and offered me a book to read, " The Secret" , and as we were discussing it and I expressed some of my reservations about it, we realized that I had actually been practising one of the main tenets in the philosophy promoted and had experienced a positive result/reaction?!? ........... I gotta tell you GOD, you've really got a sly sense of humor!!!!!
I started this blog with the intention of showing the "up" side of being homeless as manifested by the simple (and in some cases complex and/or expensive) kindnesses and generosities shown me by everyday folks as opposed to organizations or agencies. As I've mentioned I spend a lot of time in one particular Starbucks, enough so that I've become a fixture and at times almost an employee. I do not advertise my homelessness, and because I keep myself clean and reasonably presentable and do NOT come in when I am aware I am having or about to have a "bad" day or serious episode of anxiety or depression, most people do not realize I am on the streets. If someone asks, or guesses, I do not hide the fact but try to address it matter of factly, ( and frequently with a humorous pride in my urban survival skills ). Quite often someone with whom I've connected will offer a suggestion of a place to contact, or mention an article in the paper or a website that may be of relevance. Many times they will inquire as to my daughter, (who quite often comes into the shop), and both the customers and store personel will treat me to coffee, pastries, or sandwiches. I try to pass on any excess or extra to others I see on the street.............gotta go ..Dave

No comments: