Thursday, January 29, 2009

Humbled by Huliau

Hi again;
I don't know where to start, at the Starbucks I frequent in Pikesville I made the acquaintance of a wonderful couple, 'Iokepa and Inette, he is native Hawaiian and she is of Jewish heritage from Baltimore. They are are on a journey/quest/pilgrimage/????? known as "Huliau-The Return Voyage", they have been traveling the country facilitating 'Gatherings', a celebration/ceremony rooted in native Hawaiian spiritual beliefs....I am really doing a most inadequate job here...go to the web site for yourself please.... http://www.returnvoyage.com/ please check this out. It is homelessness with out being homeless, rootlessness while being rooted in the very foundations of both the world and the spirit. I am moved, scared, humbled, inspired, beyond the point of where I can express with my mere wordplay what I felt when I read these words, thoughts, ideas, and ideals. This is what I want somehow to do, what I need to do, maybe what I am meant to do. I was reading and began to shake and was overcome with such a chill, as if a cold wind was blowing over me right here in this over heated library.....Wind??? Breath??? am I conceited to presume. All I know is I am somehow connected, I am proud of my Judaism, though I choose not to be religious, and yet I have always felt a pull to the islands and oceans of the South Pacific, and to the culture and spiritual paths of the people, I claim no Hawaiian blood that I am aware of, but.......I don't even know what I am trying to say.... Something dormant has been stirred, will it awaken, am I strong enough to do what they have done? Have I fallen far enough to be able to arise? In talking with 'Iokepa, I always felt intrigued and interested, but after reading his words, and Inette's, I just don't know what to say much less do. I am still shaking, go to the site, read it...did anyone else hear the, the..., the....., I am not sure what..it was like an almost heard distant whisper, on the edge of comprehension, and understanding, like the voice of someone speaking to another, when you are on the cusp of dreams and consciousness, the sound of a loved one when you are under anaesthesia, about to slip into that comatose state. Maybe I am crazy, maybe I'm lucky. Either way I've been...touched???? reached out to????
I'm confused.......help me.......Dave

No comments: