Thursday, February 19, 2009

3 HOTS AND A COT VS. A SHELTER

HOOWWWWWWWDEEEEEE!;
(that's my Minnie Pearl impersonation)[don't ask]..LOL
I hope all are well, ...I feel like the soul sentenced to HELL who is led to a group of others standing knee deep in shit, he starts out by being totally disgusted and horrified at his fate, but when he looks across to the next group standing upto their chests in the deep end, he starts to think, "This is not all that bad, look at those poor schmucks", and begins to become first, resigned to, and then rationalizes himself to become comfortable with, his lot in life, (or afterlife in this story..LOL), just when he reaches the point of acceptance....in walks the Devil, who shouts..."Okay..Breaks over...Everybody back on their HEADS!!!!"
OY VEY....."It never rains..but it pours." I'll rant later.....
I want to comment on a news item I read in today's Baltimore Sunpaper in Peter Hermann's column and online on his blog. Seems there is a man in Frederick, Maryland who was living in a homeless shelter, he had decided that he had had enough of life at shelters and would rather be in jail. I do not have all or enough details to be able to accurately STATE what was going through his mind, but from my experience with shelters, (see posts from..2/13/09-' Judge Not......' and from 12/26/08-' Gimme Shelter ' ) , I can offer empathize and easily imagine WHY he made this choice. In fact, it used to be fairly common in certain cities for homeless men to commit a carefully controlled crime of the proper magnitude that would get him locked up for just the right amount of time to avoid the worst of the weather, especially during the Great Depression, where sometimes it was the only way to guarantee a way to stay alive. Although romanticized, this scheme has been chronicled by books and movies from John Steinbeck to Damon Runyon, to Hollywood via The Three Stooges and The Marx Brothers, and the theme is continued with the "Town Drunk" character with his own cell in Westerns and "Otis", from the "Andy Griffith Show". Of course the reality is often much harsher than the fantasy, but I can relate to choosing jail over a shelter in some situations. Not being familiar with the Frederick city/county lockup..or the shelters in that area ( and having ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in finding out personally, even for research purposes) I cannot 'rate' the facilities in the manner of 'La Guide Michelin', LOL, but I can tell you, the reader, that this situation is not as absurd as it may sound.....and again, I am only offering theory here, the guy may be...crazy as a bedbug...to use medical terminology!!
Im gonna sign off now, there is a crowd, I may be back with more, but if not, I'll see you tomorrow.................Dave
OH YEAH.....(don't you just love it when I remember something at the last minute..lol..........Saw an item in yesterday's N.Y. Times......about people shavivg their heads and renting out their scalps for advertising with temporary tattos. ...I am Officially giving notice...I AM AVAILABLE

No comments: