Friday, February 26, 2010

"Happy Birthday To Me........"

Good Evening;
WOW!! I made it through another year, man the bookies are pissed at me! A long time ago all the 'smart money' was against me ever making it to, much less past age 36! Now I'm halfway again around the track....lol! There was actually this 'Death Pool' a group of us had going back then...not only did the other surviving members have to pay off, they had to spring for the 'Living Wake'....(and it is a miracle and a tribute to medical science that any of us ever actually lived through that weekend....LOL!)
I had a text message from my best and oldest friend AnnaMarie around 8:00 am., because she wanted to be the first one to cogratulate me..
(we used to have a tradition of the 'one second after midnight call', but her three girls pretty much took that over years ago, when the phone was always busy with some boy....lol)..
At 08:38:24 am. my wondeful Rachel surprised me with a phone call!! I owe the 'ex' big time for that, it made my day!..(especially when her birthday was yesterday and I forgot to wish her happy birthday until today...and I was on the phone with her in the morning....but ib my defence I had talked to her at work and I was trying to make the call as short as possible so she would not get any hassles....and the evening phone call was only Rachel....lol). Tom came out of the bedroom stumbling and groping for the coffee pot and mumbled "Happy Birthday, and did I see the 2 bottles of Powerade Zero in the 'fridge that they had picked up for me as a little birthday gift".....he is NOT a 'morning person'....lol!
Then Jenn told me she was making her 'famous, incredibly awesome killer bacon wrapped meatloaf', instead of a cake for me...but I had to share at least some of it with Tom....lol. Then I got here...and between Facebook, my e-mail, and the comments on the blog...wow, I was blown away! Thank you Janet P., and Neil, and Anne, and Michelle..(Mlle), and my cousin Barbara, and a couple of anonymous/ name withhelds, and Sal, and Inette and 'Iokepa, and Janet G., and Kevin, and Evan and Paul and Phil, and those who I've missed......WOW Birthday greetings and kudos on the JT story, and one on the Baltimore Mag story....
Last year I was alone, lonesome, lonely and broke and had to call Rachel myself, and it was just one in a string of depressing birthdays going back decades.
Even when I was doing reasonably well, it was just another day to be gotten through, 'by any means neccessary'...this year is different, I 'feel the love' (to use an obnoxious phrase I thought I'd never bring myself to say...lol), and compassion of old friends and new, and of strangers also. I feel more able to cope, to start to deal with some of the crap....empowered, I guess you call it. Who knows how long or strong the feelings will last and grow...but it's a start....Thanks to all of you who read this little
"EXERCISE IN EXORCISM"!
and the count is 2 visitors away from 4500 as I write this!
I'm out of time..............later Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. Sounds like there are a lot of people pulling for you. I hope that your birthday was pleasant and that Jenn's bacon-wrapped meatloaf was fabulous.