Sunday, November 21, 2010

"..'Seek And Ye Shall Find'......... OR...............'Sometimes It Pays To Be A Snoop, Dawg!'.............."

Good Afternoon;

So I'm sitting in the Starbucks last night and a woman walks in who I think could be a clone of Natalie, an old girlfriend of mine in Florida, (Picture the Country singer Lorrie Morgan just a little bit more 'weathered' from a sun and sea lifestyle. A woman who at almost 60 can still compete with women 20 years younger!).

This set me to thinking about her and some of the craziness we got into up and down south Florida, from Miami to Palm Beach, (the 'Town Of' as well as 'West'....back in the days when 'Au Bar' was the place to be seen....if you could get in.....lol). We started a tradition of leaving a small, discreet "DC&NR" inked, painted, or engraved in the various single occupancy private 'powder rooms' of many of the upscale, bars, clubs and restaurants up and down the coast, (and also in Naples, on the Gulf coast, where some of the real 'old money' resides), when, primed and fueled by topshelf liquors and a certain South American import which was not only chic but in plentiful supply at the time, we 'shared a moment of intimacy'. Ahhhh, the good old days!.......LOL!
Anyway, the memory of this little game of ours inspired me to look in a few places in the Starbucks bathroom where messages would possibly be hidden from casual view, but accessible to those in the know. I also used to leave scraps of poetry stashed in various locations, similar to 'Geocaching', but that's another story.
As I looked behind the poster in which Starbucks is bragging about saving the rainforest and reducing CO2 emissions, (but making no mention of all the waste of coffee that is dumped into the sewer systems or the fact that there are no recycling bins available in their stores...but again...that's still another story), I found a 'Vanilla Visa' debit gift card with $8.80 written on it with magic marker. I called the 1-800 # to check the balance and it had only $2.52 on it, but what the hell, a dollar is a dollar, right! I'll most likely use it at the coffee shop to purchase one of the fancy-schmancy lattes or something for a change. (When I called to get the balance I had to listen to 15 minutes of disclaimers and fee schedules...it is possible that the card had been there for a while and deductions had been made from the balance written on it).
Last night when I got back to the shed about 10:00 pm. I read for a while until my fingers got cold and then tried to fall asleep. It was another night of insomnia combined with my right foot becoming cold and not being able to get it fully warmed up, no matter how I wrapped it or covered it. I fell asleep about 8:30 am. finally and slept for an hour and a half straight. Then I just lay there having nothing to do and no where close to go nearby before the library opened at 1:00 pm. I really hate Sundays. When the ideations eventually change from 'if' to 'when', the smart money would place bets that it will be a Sunday!
I have to leave here now, the library is full of ill mannered louts who do not know how to act in a library. Screaming kids whose parents ignore the noise, Yeshiva boys who talk at full volume while standing right over top of you, And there is a woman next to me who gets on the computer and plays a card game with someone else online, all the while talking on her cell phone to the person...for hours at a time every damn day. How is it that she is allowed to carry on longterm conversations when anyone else is shooed out to the lobby or made to end the call?
What happened to civility and common courtesy?
Later......Dave
P.S. we broke 9,000 hits, but it does not look like another 950 visits will occur before Friday the 25th, our 2 year anniversary....lol.

No comments: