Monday, November 1, 2010

"One Helluva Halloween!..................OR...............No Amount Of Visine Is Going To Fix THAT Case Of Red Eyes!.................."

Good Afternoon;

So I got to the library yesterday and only had time to check my e-mail before I had to jump on the bus to Jenn's because Rachel was coming over at 2:00 pm. and we were spending a few hours together alone while they were all at Jenn's mom's house in Westminster....(of course the 'ex' did not get her there until almost 3:00 pm., but that's typical....She brought me a piece of mail dated the 20th of October that stated that one of my physcians needed me to immediately get in touch with her about some test results.....and of course she is not there today...
...Great...another 2 days of 'anticipation stress'...just what I need!).

Rachel wore her maroon and gold sateen dress with the wire hoop at the bottom hem to hold it out. This is her Halloween costume/Renaissance Fair out fit, Tom took pictures and I should have them soon to post.
Rachel left just after 4:00 pm. as they were going to her grandmother's house for dinner and we will be getting together again sometime again this week. I get my little bit of monthly cash tomorrow, hopefully, and after expenses and necessaries, what's left is going to be for her and I.

I left Jenn's just before 9:00 pm. as they were coming in, and I went over to the subway and rode the train and a couple buses to see all the crazies out in costume.

It is one of the few times during the year that the 'thugs' can wear their masks and get away with it so it was no surprise when I saw a group cross the street and begin to approach me as I waited for a bus later that night at the Plaza station. After last years confrontation leaving Monkee's house I was not going to be caught out again so I prepared my self by making sure I was 'strapped'.....(No, not with a gun, I am not allowed to carry a gun and that would be illegal, and I never, never, ever break the law any more..hee...hee...hee).....with a device I read about in one of the books I've greatly enjoyed, that I borrowed from a commercial/industrial photographer friend. It is a zillion, (I don't know the exact rating, but supernova would be close...lol), candlepower Xenon flash with a HUGE multi-capacitor storage unit, (somewhere in the Death Star range), for quick, continuous firing.
As the young gentlemen began to spread out to encircle me, but before they opened up too far, I held up the flash unit, closed my eyes and said, "Say Cheese Mother f*ckers" and fired off all 5 flashes in the first storage unit. As they were clawing at their eyes and running into one another I took off across the street and up to the platform and jumped on the first train pulling out. I switched trains at the next station and headed back to the Plaza, and as the train pulled out again I saw 2 police cars with their 'oh sh*t' lights flashing, and a bunch of cops standing around half a dozen handcuffed young gentlemen lying face down on the ground, and what looked like to be an assortment of weapons arranged nearby.

Like the literacy ads say:
"Reading Is FUNdamental"!!!

I rode the train up to Old Ct. station and caught the bus to Reisterstown Rd. and the Giant, where I stopped in and used the rest room. While I was in there I was accosted, (in a nice mildly inebriated way...lol), by a man in a Tinkerbell costume...(really!!), who says "Hey I saw you on TV, my 'friend' knows you!.......Wanna come to a Halloween party?!" He went on to explain that it was the annual "Fruits, Flakes, and Nuts over Fifty" alternative lifestyles party that he and his partner had been throwing for a few years for their friends who had outgrown the club scene and wanted to continue to party, just at a lower atmosphere, as he put it with a wink. Since it was within walking distance if I felt like I needed to leave, I said WTF let's go! I ended up staying until 4:00 am.! It turns out that his partner was someone who I went to school with from 1st grade through High School. He, now SHE was a brilliant, sensitive, & near genius and virtuoso child prodigy musician who both looked and was very effeminate, and because of that and his intelligence and skills was picked on and bullied. Having had my share of being ostracized I tried to defend him when I could and we became not exactly friends but friendly allies. There were times when his wit and my bulk combined to trick or trap the bullies in retaliation and sometimes as a prophylactic measure. Anyway, Mark, now Margie, is someone I have not seen since graduation day 36 years ago. The party was mix of straight and gay folks of every persuasion, all over 50 and mostly committed couples. It was a night of interesting conversation, and ran the gamut between extremely intelligent and thought provoking ideas....and alcohol primed low brow hilarity. I had a good time and drank intelligently and ate as if food was being discontinued the next day!!...lol! One of the attendees was a restaurant owner and bon vivant who catered the affair. Their were dishes plain and fancy from all over the globe and some weird but wonderful matings! Carpaccio wrapped around baby oysters seared in lemon tarragon and served with a tiny dollop of fresh grated horseradish, Carnitas dipped in Queso, mini Spanakopita and a dill yogurt, toasted Basmati rice cups filled with a pureed vegetable curry, Extra ripe cantaloupe wrapped with Prosciutto, Smoked salmon with horseradish cheddar in puff pastry, Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.....Burp...Oooops..Excuse Me!


I have been having some very strong feelings recently about wanting to "DO" something useful on a large scale. I have been dreaming in and off for many months about kidney transplants, and being part of one of those 'round robin' multi person transplants. Don't ask me why, but it keeps recurring.
Well, as I was sitting in the Starbucks Saturday evening I look up and see a man with a walker coming across the floor toward me. I thought nothing of it and went back to my book when it hit me "Holy Sh*T....That's Alan!!!".
And it was my friend Alan who I've mentioned frequently in the past and have not seen since the end of January when the infection in his foot that would not heal and the complications from MRSA caused the doctors to remove his left foot and part of his leg below the knee, and then he ended up with congestive heart failure and his kidneys had shut down, now he is on dialysis. (Hmmmmmm? Eerie of what?). This was his first night out on his own after getting his prosthetic foot and leg and leaving the re-hab hospital/nursing home on Friday evening. He said he was taking a chance I'd be there and by luck and synchronicity I was. We talked for the next two hours and I walked over to Whole Foods with him acting as him pack mule.....lol! We talked some more until closing and then he drove me back to the shed and we sat for another hour trying to catch up on the past 9 or 10 months.
He left, I hit the gas station and then the shed and now you are pretty much all caught up I think. Last night was the first night that I would call 'cold' for real, (not just my body's reaction), and I ended up putting on a hoodie. I think it was even chillier this morning than at midnight. I was up at 7:00 am. to meet my friend and return his flash unit and then I went back to the shed and took my meds and let them put me back to sleep, instead of staying up since it was too early to do anything. Yeah...the weekend caught up to me bigtime! It was 1:45 pm. when I finally stumbled my way to consciousness again and got to the library!
I'm leaving now for Jenn's to watch the grand monsters while she and Tom go to meetings tonight. I understand that the little darlings have been quite a bundle today.....ah well....Pop-Pop to the rescue with that old standby Duct Tape!!!
I also have to eat, which I have not felt the need to do until now...lol!
Though the lack of coffee is noticeable, now the question is do I or don't I want to drink some so late in the day?
Tomorrow morning I have to be at Monkee's at early dash thirty o'clock, so I really don't want to stay up all night, and the book I am reading is very conducive to doing so. Jenn dose have some decaf, but it is that green label instant stuff in a jar...(retch...gag...retch)...but maybe if I mix it with some real drip coffee half and half....?
At any rate, I'm outta here, see you at some point tomorrow.
I think I'm going to stop by Jai and see if I can get squeezed in to see the doctor without too much of a wait by taking the letter with me.
Wednesday noon is the eye exam, and Thursday afternoon I'm back at the dental clinic. (I finally got in contact with Michelle and she was very sick but is much better now, and the front desk lost her call in message to the school, which caused the confusion and worry....good thing for computerized phone logs to prove yopu DID call somewhere, even if it only a record of the time and date of the call!)
Later.........................Dave

No comments: