Wednesday, March 2, 2011

" More 'Peanut Butter Blues And Melancholy Jam'..............."

Good Morning:
It's almost 1:00 am. and I'm about to crash out, so this is just a quick outline.
Monday night Jenn gave me a ride back to the shed from the coffeeshop after her meeting. As I walked up to it I saw the door had been opened again. I am fairly sure that it is because the latch worked loose from the door being shaken and pushed on by the really strong winds that were gusting to such extreme speeds when the storm fronts passed through Sunday night and Monday morning....at least I am hoping that's what it was.
Today I was up and out and to the library by 9:00 am. to grab a book for Jenn, which I dropped off along with my bags while I went to an appt. in East Baltimore. Then back to Jenn's where she took the trimmers and took off most of my hair and a few pieces of scalp for good measure. I ate and showered and headed out to BCCC to wait for Michelle to finish her clinic lab and we picked up Paul and headed down to Glen Burnie for the poetry reading.
There were about a dozen folks there, which was not bad for the short notice given before the event. I read about 15 of my poems, in sets of 3, as we round robinned the room. It was a bit weird at first, reading to an audience again, but still felt good to be in the environment with creative people who appreciate the art form, and my personal variation of it.
After the reading on the way back to Baltimore, a wave of...???... call it, 'Post Poetic Depression' kind of overtook me. A combination of adrenaline hangover, emotional overload, (I pulled out some works I have not seen in a decade, that I thought all of their power to affect me had faded, and would only be an exercise in technical prowess.....F*CK WAS I WRONG!!!!!), and physical tiredness.
Compare it to the Post Coital feeling you get when you've just had fantastic sex with someone.......who you are not in love with. As good as it gets....there is always a certain emptiness.
Then the simple fact that I was leaving behind a portion of 'normal' society, and everyone else was heading back to their homes...... and you get the picture.
Don't gtet me wrong, this is not another episode of the recurring clinical depression.......more like another case of "peanut butter blues" & "melancholy jam".
In any case....
my fingers are too cold,
and my mind is slowing down
the dream machine is spinning,
and I'm bound for sleepy-town.
my head is on the pillow,
and the lights are going brown,
While dreams circle my head
with a twisting turning crown.

Later................Dave

No comments: