Friday, July 8, 2011

"Better MIA.....................than...................DOA!.............................."

Good Morning;
Well I've been MIA for a couple days, as you may...(I dearly hope someone! did)...have noticed. Between the soul sucking, energy sapping, sleep robbing, interest killing ,heat and humidity I either have been unable or unwilling to write anything.
A quick recap of my past few days and more details tomorrow.
Monday morning, the 4th of July, the door on the shed declared it's independence and seceded, 'breaking away' from it's bonds and shackles and ripping away from the screws in it's hinges. It is a slab of pressed sawdust/particle/chip board and is in the process of "un-pressing" itself into piles of crumbled, rotted, waterlogged, dust or mush, depending on the humidity. So for now, because of the way it has warped and swelled in places, I can jam and wedge it into the door frame and still 'lock' it from inside with my piece of angle iron. When I leave here I can wedge it so it will not fall open or fall in at a casual touch, or even a light shove. I may go to Home Depot and buy a couple cheap long barn door hinges and some really fat screws and borrow one of my son-in-laws battery drills with a screwdriver bit and see if I can do a 'quick and dirty' job of re-hanging it. I may have to use some pieces of scrap wood to 'junkyard engineer' it. I'm not investing too much time or money though, I'm trying to find another location that is "hidden in plain sight" , or somewhere to pitch a tent or construct a small but cozy little shack like I've been seeing in some of the websites I follow, both homeless oriented, and 'tiny home' focused.
Anyway, having the door, and it is HEAVY, fall on me first thing Monday morning was no fun. I went to the coffee shop for a couple hours and then over to Jenn's to spend the night babysitting the hellions.

Tuesday morning I left my bags at Jenn's and took the bus over to pick up Rachel. We took the Light Rail out to Lutherville and the bus down to Towson to Towsontown Centre, the upscale mall, (and both the mall and some of the stores, and some of the customers are prettttty fancy), to visit Build-A-Bear to buy here her birthday present at last. More on that, and my re-enactment of one of former President Jimmy Carter's famous statements. (Try to guess which one....answer tomorrow....lol). Then it was bus/train/bus back to Rachel's for a while, and then I caught the bus over to Jenn's to get my bags. They were on the way out to see
"Cars 2" so I hung out in the A/C , (IT WAS hot!!!!!!!! 95+ with a 'Heat Index 4-6 degrees higher!), showered and grabbed the 10:00 pm. bus up here to the shed.
Sleep has been a real challenge the past week, both here and at Jenn's
Wednesday and Thursday I'll fill you in on tomorrow, along with some harsh commentary on how the celebration of Independence Day by the 'ghetto moron' element has gotten out of hand, which anybody who has seen a newspaper or TV should know by now. What you don't hear about are the cases of them throwing lit fireworks at Homeless people, (and others too), for kicks.....as the burn holes from sparks in my tee shirt can attest too.

Later.......................................Dave
And while I used the term MIA in jest, don't forget that there are still many Homeless Veterans out there who for many different reasons are truly Missing In Action. From there families and friends and from the agencies and organizations who could help them.

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
Click the link, see what you can do to help today,
to help them tomorrow.

No comments: