Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"Thank God Lawyers Can't Fly!........OR.........Mosquitoes......The OTHER Hated Blodsuckers!......................"

Good Evening;
So the heat today was like a triple tag team mugging.

First; As soon as you step out the door the sun smacks you in the face and blinds you.
Second; The heat slams you in the chest knocking the air out of your lungs and stunning you.
Third; The humidity slams you to your knees like a biker with a sock full of nickels.
Then; They all kick you in the head, gut, & crotch 'til you pass out!

And the next 2 days is when it really gets hot!

I had a partial reprieve for the middle part of the day today. I got a call from Jenn asking if I could babysit a mutual friend's daughters while she went to the hospital. She's about 6 months pregnant and was having some problems. I jumped on the bus about 10:30 am. and headed down to Jenn's because Tom was going to take me out to Owings Mills to her house, and I NEEDED! to shower and change at least my shirt and socks first before I had any contact with anyone.
When I got there plans had changed and our friend was prescribed bed rest at home and to monitor the situation, and if any changes, then go to the ER. So I showered and changed and 'refreshed' a gently worn and cleanish pair of jockey shorts with a healthy spraying of 'AirWick Rain Garden' air freshener...lol.....and hung out on stand by until about 4:00 pm. when Jenn & Tom & the kids got back from their appointments.
Jenn asked me to watch the kids Thursday night so she could go to Tom's HG with him and I sure but somehow I have to get some laundry done out of the deal, besides the usual, 'you're out at night- I crash on the couch' trade AND that I was going to come by at some point as early as possible before the projected 100-104 degree heat peaked.
(That's got Thursday covered....next up Friday and it's equally ridiculous temps and finding a cold damp hole!)

Tonight I am thinking about sitting up all night here on the bench in front of the library, where there is SOME breeze to be caught. My friend at 'Whole Foods' says her friend at the Hilton downtown says he can slide me in there one night next week. I said, 'sure, I worked at hotels before and 'comps' are at the mercy of reservations', if it happens fine...actually great!, but ..."we shall see what we shall see".

I've got 5 ham, egg, & cheese breakfast sandwiches in my bag I hope keep through the night until I can freeze them tomorrow, a gift from one of the young ladies at the coffee shop.

I read today on the back of a box of 'Apple Ohs', Giants store brand version of 'Apple Jacks', in a camping tip and trivia layout that 'mosquitoes are attracted to the color blue', well after some Internet research I have found that most studies are inconclusive at best, many contradicting each other in minor areas. Anecdotal evidence on the 'net leand toward a positive conclusion.
AND.....my inadvertent self sacrifice of my body for the furtherance of mankind's scientific knowledge and actual field research of the Asian Tiger and Anopheles Punctipennis ,(what a terrifying name, and oy! the images it brings up....lol), bites leads me to believe that the probability of of this theory is weighted on the side of truth!

Three guesses on who unthinkingly put on the only shirt that fit this afternoon, well aware that he would be outside most if not all night....said shirt being a beautiful shade of cerulean blue.....and your first two,.....ouch, swat, scratch....don't count!

Of course the little darlins are also attracted by the hot, warm, wet, swirling expulsion and subsequent updraft of carbon dioxide...CO2...each time we breathe or talk.....okay make the 'full of hot air joke and get it over with, children.....and the lactic acid exuded from our sweat....of which there has been no shortage, (except for that little bout of near heatstroke), recently too, so I'm a freakin' triple threat mosquito beacon tonight!

(Anybody wanna bring me some Benadryl?????).

No related connection to this except I really like it;

Just mouse over and click on,
when the G.A.S. site comes up, scroll down to the video.
It's not only well done, it's a lot of fun.....
and
the song rocks as an anthem for
those of us who were never able to...
or had any desire to....
'color within the lines'!


Later..........................Dave

No comments: