Friday, May 6, 2011

"Fight The Dark Side! .......................... Resist The Siren's Song .......................... Just Say No To Disney!.........."

Good Evening;
So I've come to the conclusion that 'Disney Princesses' are like a form of crack for little girls!

When my 3 year old grand daughter Devin got up today before 7:30 am. it was "Pop-pop Dave, I want to watch Ariel.....'Little Mermaid' ....now!" in her breathy little voice that I swear is pronouncing all her soft, sussurating, sibilants on the intake. Really she seems to speak on the inhale instead of the exhale like everyone else, and with no hard consonant sounds either...lol, but I'm straying from my point.
After that it was "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", and then "Beauty And The Beast", all animated, (1989, 1937! the first and best full length animated film, and 1991 respectively).
And last night, (and also Tuesday night when I went over to shower) was "Hook", though not animated, it still had a CGI assisted Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell.....{and as I've mentioned.....some egghead shrink should write a paper on the somewhat twisted sexual dynamics in THIS version of the already many times psycho-dissected Peter Pan story}, but again...I digress............lol.
All the 'hook' songs from these movies burrow themselves into your brain like the alien from......."ALIEN", erupting into your consciousness without warning and taking control of your vocal facilities, causing one to burst into song.....sometimes at inopportune, embarrassing, and/or downright inappropriate moments...............lol!
They are as insidious in their own way as 'The Beatles' "Yellow Submarine"! Go ahead....I dare you to sing the first line of the chorus......uh-huh, ya see.....GOTCHA!!!

For me, today it has been "Some Day My Prince Will Come".....all afternoon and evening.
So in self defense Googled it and at least found some other versions, chief among them these 4; Bill Evans Trio from 1965, Lena Horne from 1967, and Barbra Striesand from 1979, and 9:08 glorious minutes of Miles, (Davis....who else?....w/ the sextet), from 1961. And then went back to the original by Adriana Caselotti with the 1930s style tremolos and vibratos......and back to Miles to clear my mind with his seminal, instrumental jazz rendition.
{Trivia: Adriana Caselotti the voice of Snow White was prohibited by Walt Disney himself from appearing in film and other media after recording Snow White, other than 2 uncredited songs in 'The Wizard Of Oz', 1939, and 'It's A Wonderful Life', 1946. Walt said, when Jack Benny specifically asked to use her on his radio show, "I'm sorry, but that voice can't be used anywhere. I don't want to spoil the illusion of Snow White." ! and other than promotional work for Disney, this held up until the 1970s!!!.......................}

Of course with 'L.M.'s ' "Under Da Sea", sung by Sebastian the Trinidadian calypso crab, and
"B & T B's" 'Be Our Guest' sung by Lumiere , Mrs. Potts, & Cogsworth aka; Jerry Orbach, Angela Lansbury, & David Ogden Stiers, respectively, a candelabra, tea pot, & mantel clock, (lyrics for both songs written by the late Howard Ashman of Baltimore), constantly recurring to tag team my already pummeled brain,.................................I'm still sitting here, (it's 2:05 am.), mumbling broken lyrics like a demented Andrew Lloyd Webber!......................lol!

And I am spending Monday night so I can be there early on Tuesday morning to watch Devin while Ed is at school and Jenn goes along with Tom to the doctor. That means she and I, ALONE, with 3 DVD players and a VCR.........AND.............Disney princesses old and new......and.....and.......licensed and authorized character figurines, dolls, playsets, cards, and clothing........OH,......the horror.....THE HORROR.....!

Later..............................Dave



No comments: