Monday, May 9, 2011

"Weekend Recap .............To ............. Monday Morning Pre-Dawn Rant .............."

Good Morning;
Well Saturday was a waste; sleep, eat, TV, laptop.....all in the shed, with only a couple excursions to the Giant. Today, Sunday, Mothers Day, was a bit better, getting out by 2:00 pm. and killing an hour in the food store unable to make up my mind what to get to eat because I had enough grocery credit on the card to have actual choices. Then over to the Starbucks where I spent an hour sending out Mothers Day e-mails to Jenn and many more friends than I realized. Which was a pleasant surprise, as was finding out Inette and 'Iokepa were in town for her birthday and to see her mother and son. I also stated that I hoped their schedule was such that we would have a chance to meet this week. I got an immediate reply that I must be psychic because 'Iokepa had just mentioned the same thing only moments before. Well I replied that I had been called 'psychotic' before but never 'psychic'.....lol. These are my Hawaiian friends,(www.returnvoyage.com) , who I met at the now closed Pikesville Starbucks with whom an instant bond was formed.

The rest of the evening and night after the coffeeshop closed I ended up riding the Light Rail up and back a couple times because I got sucked into my book and didn't want to quit reading and lose the excitement while switching to the subway until I hit a chapter end, which came between stations of course for the first three trips..........lol.

Then it was here in the shed for 'Criminal Minds', 'Numb3rs', and 'Without A Trace' and back and forth e-mails with Michelle, here in Baltimore who also has insomnia tonight, and my cousin Barbara, who is in California where it was still Sunday night....lol.

So it's 3:24 am. now, and I am going to try to sleep. I still am pretty twisted up over the story in the Poverty Insights link in the previous post. Angry, concerned, fearful, for a few of the more vulnerable homeless folks I see and talk with occasionally in my travels, most of whom have some sort of mental or emotional issues that make them susceptible to some of the truly amoral, vicious, and violent garbage walking these streets. Young, uneducated, uncivilized in the literal meaning of the word, for whom fighting is a way of life & violence is the answer to everything. White males, and black males and females mostly in this city, who equate respect with submission to the more powerful, and who grow up in an atmosphere of anger and sullen resentment. Courtesy is weakness, crudity and vulgarity are ingested with with every breath, and authority is to be ignored if it is in the way of instant gratification and personal desire. And anybody different is irrelevant. What surprises me is that more instances are not reported. Probably one reason is that there is so much 'internal' violence, each against each. Look at the 'mob scenes' at Harborplace, just recently, and last summer, huge crowds of inner city youth..but the beatings, knifings and shootings were mostly against the same demographic in these cases.
Where violence against the homeless used to be either a 'thrill crime' as a circumstance of opportunity, or some sort of organized retaliation, to get them to leave an area. Now instances of deliberate seeking out of the victims are increasing........which is scary, (and another example of the breakdown of society....but that's too complicated to even think about here).
Please understand that these are my opinions gleaned from personal and anecdotal experience, and random published instances, NOT any type of scientific data. Not that it makes them any less significant....or less valid reasons to keep looking over my shoulder in certain areas!

Hell................4:11am., bedtime for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Later.................................Dave

No comments: