Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rude Awakening...........Memorial Day Weekend............."

Good Morning;

So...talk about a 'rude awakening'...(though I was actually already up)...

At about 9:45 am. I was packing up my bags in the shed and thinking about what to do today, tomorrow, and Monday over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

All of a sudden I hear a truck in the parking lot, no big deal I think, people are always cutting through or stopping for a minute or two then pulling off. But Wait!! as the infomercials are so fond of shouting....I hear a lot of clanging and banging and a group of voices speaking Spanish and one voice giving instructions in 'Spanglish'. I peak out one of the numerous holes and see a trailer dropped off with a load of weed eaters and shovels and clippers etc. being unloaded.

Oh Great, Just Freakin' Great!


I QUIETLY finished packing and dressing taking a few things I had been leaving in the shed recently along with what I normally carry. I had to leave a bunch of clothes and the lantern and some non-library books, along with the sleeping bag and blankets because I could not carry it all, and could not have slipped out as quickly and quietly as possible while the 3 or 4 Latino groundskeepers were busy with the engines of their tools running and looking the other way as I latched the door....HOPEFULLY!


I went to the Giant to wash up and make a cup of coffee, and found out I left my travel mug at Jenn's, and then the water is not even lukewarm when I made my cup of Nescafe.....which is not all THAT bad when hot....but is only a vector for inserting desperately needed caffeine as a last ditch measure when not! When I left Giant for the library, (not wanting to leave the area, so I could 'peep' out the situation with the shed....as regards entry and discovery....until the men had finished and left), I swung wide and covertly looked to see if the door was open....it wasn't. But the coolers and ice chests I had almost tripped over when stepping outside were still sitting in front of the door. It's 10 of 1:00 pm. now and when my time is up here, (unless I am automatically given another 15 minutes), I think I'll discreetly walk past, (stashing my bags here at the library for a minute), and check it out.


I still don't know what to do this weekend though, Rachel is away,and I'm not sure what Jenn and family are up to, and I have some cash....but I have a strange feeling about my Foodstamps and little bit of DSS money for June, and I was not able get a hold of anyone there all week.


I'll probably just go to the coffee shop if nothing else comes up by way of invites or offers. Although there is a lot going on in Baltimore and vicinity this weekend,

I either don't want to go alone, can't take my bags, don't have the clothes, can't afford it, or can't get to it.

I have the laptop and library books, so it's probably going to be much the same as any other weekend.


IF I still have a place to crash tonight!


More when I find out what's what.

Later................Dave


And of course Don't Forget what we are honoring and who this holiday is about.

Our Veterans,

both living and dead, healthy and injured,

housed and homeless.

I hope to find a way to the Garrison Forest Maryland Veteran's Cemetery on
Monday for the ceremony, and to stop by my father's gravesite.


There are still those men and women who can use your help and support,

who are living on the streets, veterans who are in need of housing.

The National Coalition for Homeless Veterans


can put you donation to the best use.

No comments: