Monday, October 18, 2010

"Friendship....Football....and....Comfort Foods!.............."

Good Afternoon;

Well I made it to the coffee shop for a couple hours Saturday evening, (I puttered around here for 3 hours after I finished the post, planning on leaving any second and getting drawn back into the "Hypno-Gourd" {any 'Xanthians out there?....lol},again and again by interesting links and last minute posts on Facebook). Josh passed on a big 'bag o' bagels' (and some muffins which I ended up passing out to various other familiar faces on the bus and train), that were destined for the trash can anyway.

(Speaking of 'trash cans', I was outside the library eating brunch today and when I went to the dumpster to throw away my trash I peeked into the paper recycling dumpster just to take a look. One of the library employees was walking towards the rear entrance and chastised me for being in there, telling me it was against the rules. I said, "So...rather than donate the books to groups or organizations, or even private citizens, to distribute to the people who could use and need them, and encouraging the huge poverty stricken population of children in the inner city and elsewhere who would otherwise never be exposed or own a book...the library and the County would rather sell them for their recycle value, or even just dump them?"..She replied.."Those are the rules...." Bureaucracy In Action!)
{BTW....If you need any books...they are emptied every Tuesday}

Anyway...I had a text conversation with my best and 2nd oldest friend, (but oldest and longest in continuous contact)Anna Marie that night making arrangements to meet at the Lutherville Light Rail stop the next day at Noon-ish. I rode the buses back here to the library and sat outside and finished the last few pages of 2 of the books I was reading and then went to the Giant for the restroom and a jug of Powerade, then into the shed because I was chilly. I read for a few hours and fell asleep around 1:00 am. waking again at 4:45 am. and started to get dressed because I was late for my flight to Miami, Fla...... I stepped outside the shed and realized where I was and that it had all been a dream, (which faded before I could get all the details, but seemed to be back in the 'Miami Vice' phase of my residence there....LOL!), slapped my self 'upside da head' and went back to sleep until the alarm went off at 9:00 am.

After going to the Giant and fixing my coffee and using the restroom to wash and shave, then visiting with Carol the 'self service cashier', (which sounds a bit redundant...dontcha think?), I took the bus, the Metro subway, and the Light Rail out to meet Anna Marie. We went to the Mars supermarket and came up with our own 'Quick And Dirty Shepherd's Pie' concoction, (finely diced sauteed onions; browned, 97/3% ground beef; covered with Campbells Low Salt Cream Of Potato Soup mixed with the pan drippings from the beef and onion; covered with frozen Schwan's (A 'To Your Door' grocery store delivery company, with amazingly good and tasty foods, mostly frozen items. Here's a link: http://www.schwan/ ) 'Quicktaters' (flattened tater tots, or mini potato patties, depending on your point of view...LOL!); baked then browned slightly under the broiler; with some grated sharp cheddar cheese added after the cooking is done and allowed to melt from the heat of the casserole itself.), and purchased the needed items that were not in her freezer or pantry.....and some Avalanche brand 'Black Raspberry with Chocolate Chunks and Raspberry Ribbon' ice cream for dessert....Yummmmm, symptoms of lactose intolerance be damned we said!

I showered when we got back to the house and we caught up on each other's lives since our last face-to-face visit early this year before the blizzards. Pregnancies, births, deaths, children, ex'es, medical, legal, romances...(we're both batting 000.00....lol!, I'm still waiting for her to 'see the light' and acknowledge that after all we've been through together in the past 36 years, up, down, and sideways....it's time!.......LOL!), yadda...yadda...yadda...etc. We half watched most of the Raven's game, seeing them lose it in the last seconds of overtime...and tuned to another game, (I didn't even notice who was playing...lol [It may have been Dallas/Minnesota]...), just in time to see the wildest forward pass/lateral free for all since the Three Stooges did it as a comedy short 75 years ago!....LOL! There were about 7 throws back and forth as the players moved down field and we were half cheering/ half laughing in amazement and amusement.
About 8:30 she took me back to the station and I caught the train and the bus and the bus back to Pikesville, sat out and read for a while, stopped at the gas station and hit the shed.
It was a another typical night of recent sleep patterns, out about Midnight, up once for no reason, sit up look around and fall back on the pillows...never reaching full consciousness....(but then according to some...I never do...lol.)....up again at dawn for early morning irrigation purposes, back to sleep until 9:00 am. and up and out.
The Giant and then a long leisurely brunch and conversation, (and I was "conversing..."...NOT..."conversatin'..."....Arrgghhhhh if I hear that one more time, someone trying to act 'sophisticated' and throwing out the nine dollar words on the bus...and either mangling them, misusing them, or in this case creating 'Frankenwords'....LOL!..I'm going to scream!)
It's 5:00 pm. now, another day slipping away at the computer, so I'm out of here now!
Later..............Dave





No comments: