Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Vote Early....................................... And Vote Often!!!................."

Good Afternoon;
And I mean that in any way except weatherwise!
What a nasty day! If you looked up the definition of 'muggy' in a dictionary it would say; "See: Baltimore-Oct. 27th 2001!" I went to shower at Jenn's this morning and found that I wasn't dirty...I was beginning to grow moss!.....LOL!

I ended up spending the night there because Tom wanted to accompany Jenn to her former sponsor's anniversary, and I volunteered to watch the kids. (I had an ulterior motive besides the shower and free pot of coffee that is a given, I wanted to see the latest episode of "Two And A Half Men" from Momday...lol.)

I went to rinse off in the shower again this morning as I was getting ready to leave and the humidity is so high that the towels were still damp. The A/C here at the library is finally beginning to make my skin feel human as opposed to a salamanders. Although I think my lungs are still mildewed.


I'm not going to be able to see Rachel today because her mother picked up some temp. work, and the logistics just won't work out. I'm hoping that sometime this weekend schedules will mesh and we can get together. Even though we talk almost every night before she goes to bed I really miss her when it's been more than a week or 10 days since we were together last.


I checked the Baltimore Sunpapers website and the blog is listed in the Humor, Personal, and Misfits categories.
The prize is a banner advertisement on the Sun website for each category winner, and a 'certificate' for the Best Overall winner.
(That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee, so it is really just an ego stroke...LOL!)
Voting begins on the Sun website at 8:00 am. Nov. 2nd and continues through until 5:00 pm. Nov. 12th, and you can vote once per person in EVERY 24 hour period for category and overall blog.

To Whoever entered our little blog here in the contest, thanks for the boost! The more readers the better.

There are about 300 entries so far, (and some such as this, are in the allowed maximum of 3 categories), so it would be a hoot if we came in anywhere near the Top Ten. But WTH, even if nobody but me votes, (and the 'Nominator'...lol), I'll still be writing just for my own reasons, purpose, and sanity anyway.


After I'm done here at the computer and at the library, I'm out of books......gotta 're-up' my stash...lol, I'll most likely head over to the coffee shop, and hope their A/C is conquering the humidity. I've still got sandwiches and pastries from Monday left, in my bag and Jenn's fridge, so if any are offered tonight I'll pass most of them out on the train or the bus later tonight.
There is one woman I see regularly who is dealing with a painful shyness among her other mental/emotional issues and homelessness. I'll see look away if I, or anyone, looks her way, but she is eyeing the food with barely concealed desire. I'll leave a package of what ever I have when I see her on a seat 2 or 3 places away and catch her eye and walk away. Depending on which seat I'm in on the train I may or may not see her get up and scuttle forward to pick it up and make it disappear from sight among her clothes or her bags. It's gotten to the point over the past 2 years where, when I get off the train and glance at her, she will flash a quick little smile of thanks or acknowledgement at me then duck her head back in her collar or her shawl. I'm not sure but I think I actually heard her say something also one night, and that is a rare occurrence for her to utter a word.
There are other people who I try to avoid because they grab and take advantage of whatever they can get free, and end up wasting so much food, through spoilage.
And then there are the 'nouveau homeless', who can be recognized by the look of loss or confusion, and sometimes the aura of fear they project. With some of the predators that roam this city, especially late on weekend nights, some of the more recent arrivals to the street may as well carry a neon sign saying 'Victim'. One good thing that they do have for them though, is that if they are directed early and asap to the proper agency or organization, they seem to be able to get fast tracked into the aid system.
Tomorrow morning I have to stop back at Jenn's and bathe because I have another session with Michelle at BCCC's dental hygiene clinic at 1:00 pm.
Then Friday Jenn asked me to watch Devin while she picks up Edward at school and they stop at his school's 'Family Fun Fair'.
The weather is supposed to cool down and dry off, becoming more seasonal, tonight and tomorrow, so sleeping should be nice and comfortable in the shed. I have to find a few dollars by Friday so I can wash the only pair of long pants I have left, (my jeans, which are starting to wear), at Jenn's.
I may be back later, if not see you Thursday evening or Friday.
Later...........Dave

No comments: