Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Do It Yourself Brain Surgery....For Dummies............."

Good Morning;
So I get a call at 9:30 am. yesterday morning and it is the 'ex; wanting to know if I am at the Starbucks yet, because she and Rachel are at the Falls Road Animal Hospital dropping off one of the cats and were going to stop by, well....I was still in the bag getting up the courage to unzip, crawl uot and put on the ice cold jeans that I had forgotten to lay out underneath me to stay warm....lol. I told her to call back when she was on the way back out from the house to do her shopping and I would meet them at the library or the Giant. I finally got myself together and the sleeping bag and the mat, and the blankets all rolled up and bagged up...(this is EVERY morning and EVERY night, it is getting to be a real pain), and I was in the Giant getting my coffee and breakfast when the phone rang...I am at the register checking out and they are in the produce section...(she never has been very good at following simple suggestions/directions)..so I never made it to the library. Rachel and I got dropped off at the Starbucks and spent a couple hours together, just hanging out and also going over to th Whole Foods and trying all the free samples. (On a good day, you can get a balanced meal there just from the feebies....lol).
After her mother picked her up, I just hung out for a while reading, until Allan showed up next to me while I was looking at the cheeses at the Whole Foods, and scared the heck out of me....lol. We caught up on the past week and a half or so. He is still dealing with a skin graft that will not heal properly on his foot and has pretty much been inside and off his feet. Having a friend with a health problem makes one more conscious of one's own vulnerability, reading about all the illness and injury in the paper can only touch one on an abstract level, no matter how awful it is. Hearing the blow by blow reports of the trials and tribulations of Allan, or Jenn's family and their hassles with MRSA, and the parts that they take in stride, that freak me out, made me understand some of the reactions I get, when I tell some folks about my medical issues, and they are amazed by what I just look at as day to day annoyances. We each have our own perspective on what is TOO much to deal with, and what is just a part of, though be it an annoying one, of life.
I am out of here for now, heading for coffee and something to eat at Mt. Washington...
.......................later,, Dave

No comments: