Monday, August 16, 2010

"Rain Delays And Flood Warnings.........INSIDE!!!!....................."

Good Afternoon;
Well it was a pretty messed up Sunday...morning, noon, and night.
I left here Saturday and stopped at the Starbucks and sat outside until the lights went off at 10:00 pm. then took the buses back to Pikesville, where I sat outside the library until almost 3:00 am. reading. I went into the shed and the temperature was reasonable and fell right to sleep, only to be woken up at 4:30 am. by the rain and it's subliminal influence on my bladder, I fell back asleep and again was awakened by the rain and the the thunder at about 7:30 am. I fell back asleep since the shed was cool for the first time in weeks and was awakened AGAIN by the rain....and the side of the shed that is basically layers of cardboard boxes collapsing inward in a waterfall of slurry, (luckily just below where I lay down). After patching the hole I lay down and went back to sleep for another hour or so and then just sat up and read for a few hours, trapped inside by the deluge. It was 2:45 before I left the shed yesterday. I headed over to Jenn's to shower and shave and take advantage of the empty apartment for a while since they were going to Nissan Pavilion in Virginia to see Tom Petty and the grandkids were on a sleep over.
She said they were leaving about 3:00 pm. but when I came onto the parking lot the cars were still there at 3:30 pm., so I walked back to the Plaza and killed a half an hour. When I got there the first thing I had to do was my usual sink full of dishes and take out the garbage, which is the usual fee...lol! I then had a sandwich and sat for a while before I took a shower, my feet and back were killing me, from standing over the sink...it's getting worse, and I have had to readjust the schedule of my meds.
I went to shower about 6:30 pm.......and there is NO HOT WATER!!! The water heater pilot light was out, and I did not have the number of their maintenance people at the complex, and not only could I not get down to reach the pilot to light it...I was not fooling with gas in a place that was not my own.
I ended up heating 4 pots of water on the stove and standing in the tub and taking a 'whore's bath'....not really effective or satisfying.....lol!
I left their apartment and caught the 11:30 pm. bus back up to the library and ended up reading again until 3:00 am., ("The Sugar House" by Laura Lippman, a Baltimore writer. Lots of places and people I know of or about in the story).
I slept lousy last night...(this morning)...finally being driven out of the shed by the heat and humidity at 10:00 am., when I went to the Giant, and then here to the library. I am heading over to Jenn's now to cook 2 pieces of beef I had to buy at the Giant, on sale at $2.00 off a pound, and then reduced for a quick sale at another $2.00 off, for a final price of $3.57 for more than 3 pounds of top round steak.....as I have said before...except for the last couple days of the month....food is rarely a problem...the biggest trouble is coordinating the times and places when I have access to kitchen with the really good deals on meat or seafood.
I am watching the grand monkeys this evening as Jenn and Tom are going to her homegroup to help a friend celebrate an anniversary, I am fairly sure I am spending the night inside. Which is agood thing with the predicted Thunderstorms and high humidity forecast for tonight.
See you tomorrow................Dave

No comments: