Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Head--Shoulders--Knees--&--Toe-------Ow..Ow..Ow..Ow..........AKA.........I Lift Tings Up Und Put Them Down".........

Good Evening;
Well I was up early this morning as I planned.....just long enough to take the last of my morning meds, and call Monkee to ask when she was leaving the house, and then passed back out until 11:00 am. It took me an hour to get up, pack up, dress, and head over to the bus stop, (not even stopping at the Giant for coffee or the restroom to wash up). I really screwed up my back and exacerbated the multitude of problems already there. On Thursday when I watched the grandkids Jenn had asked if I was able flatten out some of the aluminum cans they had saved for Ed's school, as Friday was 'can day'. I had brought them over a maul I had acquired at some point in my travels for just this purpose;
"Stand cans on end....Lift maul....Engage gravity and repeat if necessary, (if desired/required, additional kinetic energy may be applied to assist gravitational forces)....place flattened cans in plastic bag"
The lifting and dropping of the 18 lb. maul was no problem, but the repetitive bending, and when that became too agonizing to continue, the squatting used to set up and pick up the cans caused something in the lumbar regions to deviate from the click-pop and constant dull ache with intermittent stabbing pain reminiscent of being jabbed in the spine with an electrically charged knitting needle....that just happened to be on fire at the time that I have grown to know and love..........to.........more of a griiiinnddd-SNAP....that combines all the sensations of fingernails screeching on a blackboard and chewing on a chunk of aluminum foil, with simultaneously being hit in the back with a baseball bat while being kicked in the balls with a steel toed boot. When my vision cleared and the nausea abated, and I was able grab the handle on the patio door and haul myself upright (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), I stumbled inside the apartment and almost tripped over Ed who was sitting not 2 feet away....and totally oblivious to everything that wasn't on TV, even though I was directly in his line of sight....lol.

A hot shower, my Flexeril and pain meds, re-contouring the couch with rolled and folded towels and blankets, 4 hours sleep, morning meds, and another long hot shower Friday before I left, and taking it slow and easy Saturday, (mostly due to the weather), with an extra-extra firm 'mattress', (HA!).......and I thought I was back to 'normal' by the time I got to sleep last night/this morning. That just shows where too much thinking will get you!...................lol!

I had one speed today, "shuffle". A three legged tortoise with gout, bunions, and arthritis nearly knocked me over as he passed me.....going uphill.....against a headwind! Tomorrow I have to call JAI anyway to find out if I have an appointment with my PCP sometime this week. I think I do and I'm out of BP meds, but I cannot find an appointment card among my papers. I need to see my podiatrist also because not only are my nails all effed up again, the 'knot' behind the big toe on the left foot seems to have grown. And I have try to reschedule appointments with the neurology people and with Prologue to make up for the ones I cancelled, postponed, or just straight up 'blew-off' during last months nasty bout of depression when I just wanted to die already and get it over with.....(but was too depressed to make the effort....lol....[well it is funny to me anyway.....in a sick-twisted-ironic kinda way]....). One thing I am not going to do, is to try to go to JAI on a walk-in on a Monday.....a 5-7 hour wait is a very real possibility. The only scenario with any feasibility at all is to stop by at 3:30 - 4:00 pm. and see how many patients are still waiting to be seen, sometimes many people who signed in just leave and don't bother to sign out or come back and there are 10 or 15 minute 'windows of opportunity. If I decide to just get my 'scrips' renewed....this may work.

So I never got to see Rachel today, but we talked for 15 minutes or so....maybe tomorrow afternoon, early on, (and depending on the outcome of certain phone calls), I will be able to stop by and grab her for her last regular meal before Passover starts on Monday at sundown, and ends 8 days later at sundown on Tuesday of next week. After I call the doctor, I'll see how it looks. Though we can go out during the 4 middle days, (chol hamoyed as it is known), as we did last year, we just have to pack a kosher for Passover lunch at her mother's. Last year we sat and ate it in the cafe at th e Maryland Science Center before we saw 'Alice In Wonderland' in 3D at the IMAX there. We were not the only ones, if the weather is nice the Inner Harbor is a popular destination for a lot of Orthodox families since their kids are off from school for 9 or 10 days.

Anyway, my back feels as if it is on fire, and not like a sunburn, but inside, straight up along my spine, and the muscles too, at about kidney level. (All from bending and squatting to pick up and put 200 or so cans in a bag!?! and it was only 2 or 4 at a time, I mean they were empty....No weight to them.....What's up with that....lol...{Ouch!!!....it hurts when I laugh}...) Also, my joints hurt today; wrists, shoulders, ankles, knees, and hips. Not so much toes, other than the aforementioned knot, and fingers not at all??

Later.................................Dave

No comments: