Monday, June 21, 2010

" Heat Stroke...................."

Good Morning;

So it was back in the shed last night after spending Saturday afternoon and evening at Jenn's and cajoling my self a night on the new (to them) reclines that night. It was still in the 80's at 11:00 pm. and the dewpoint and humidity were near the top of the scale so Jenn was understanding and Tom was happy to have someone there to help him unload the DJ equipment when he got home from the gig he was working...(and doing all the pots and pans, emptying and loading the dishwasher and cleaning the...[UGHHH!! how can 2 cats crap so damn much and so damn huge]...litter box earned some brownie points toward it too....lol!).
I also got to spend an hour and a half watching Devin that evening while Jenn and Edward went to ALDI, which was a nice treat.

In the last post I was commenting, (...syn: complaining, bitching and moaning.....lol), about not getting invitations without a first contact from my side, well, Jenn and Tom and the kids were going to his mother's house for Father's Day for a cookout and Jenn decided to invite me and Rachel along as a Father's Day present. Well.....at first I was pleased and interested in going up to his mom's house, but the more I considered it the less appealing it became. As I also mentioned in the last post, I had had more than enough problems dealing with MY spouses' (plural!) immediate and extended families, and I am really in no shape right now to deal with my daughter's spouse's family. Especially in a situation where I would be way out in the wilds of northern Baltimore County with no means of escape if , no...when the inevitable anxiety/panic attack came. I declined and told her thanks but no thanks, and that what I had really been planning was to ask her if Rachel and I could spend the day at the apartment while they were out.

Which is what we did. Rachel was dropped off by her mother about 2:00 pm., (after they had left so Ed and Devin did not get sidetracked from getting ready and leaving to play with Rachel), and we had a lovely afternoon and early evening. We played Candyland..I lost 2 out of 3 games..lol..., and watched TV, and cooked dinner, and had dessert. Jenn had found some very nicely priced Filets wrapped in bacon on sale at ALDI and while we cooked them off in the oven we finished off the rest of the shrimp that I had saved in the freezer. For dessert Jenn had made a mousse/parfait like concoction with fresh and very ripe blueberries and strawberries and raspberries, (this year seems to be a banner year for berries, in price and flavor and quantity!), which we spooned into sponge cake shells and topped with a dollop of this sweet and creamy cream cheese based dipping sauce for fruit...very decadent! I have a wonderful 6 year old with a varied and discriminating palate. She is willing to try any food and likes a whole lot of things most 6 year olds have never even heard of much less tasted, and, like her father, mother, and older sister, is learning and developing kitchen skills early, and enjoys creating new, unique, and sometimes odd flavor combinations. And she also already has the manners and decorum needed to be taken to AND appreciate a good restaurant. The hell with Taco Bell, she wants Tio Pepe!..........LOL! She is not going to be a cheap date later on....LOL!

She brought me a photograph of herself in a clear plastic frame/cover with a magnet on the back to stick onto a refrigerator or whatever metal is around me. I had mentioned recently that I no new photos of her and she got her mother or grandmother to print this one up for me. She hid it in her shirt, (the same one she wore in the picture, a black tee with a sequin Hello Kitty face on it...lol; both daughter's, 22 years apart are Hello Kitty fans, and Devin, my granddaughter, has one too, though she is somewhat ambivalent about her....lol), when I came outside to get her from the car. When I picked her up to give her a hug, (nearly breaking my already broken back in the process, she is getting big!), I could feel it through our shirts, and the grin on her face gave her away when I asked if she had something in her shirt...she gets way too excited to keep a secret...lol! We really had a great low key, no pressure, cool and comfortable Father's Day, and I am extremely grateful to and for her and Jenn and the 'ex' for making it possible.............Thanks!!!!

I ended up leaving Jenn's about 9:00 pm. last night, (Rachel left about 7:30 pm.), just after they got home, and caught the bus up to Pikesville where I sat in front of First Watch and read for a few hours and drank the can of beer I had picked up Thursday and forgotten about in the back of Jenn's 'fridge, (I don't drink there out of courtesy and respect), and then stopped at the gas station when I started falling asleep and nodding out in the middle of sentences. I went in the shed about Midnight and tried to air it out and cool it down some by fanning the door. I think it is mostly psychological....lol. I was first awakened by the heat about 8:00 am. and as I lay there struggling with the ascent of the cliffs of consciousness out of the depths of sleep into the murky haze of pre-coffee awareness, then psyching myself up for the daily surge of dizziness, pain and adrenaline that I experience when I make the attempt to transition from the horizontal to the somewhat vertical position I was serenaded by a chorus of jackhammers less than 20 feet from my head. Not exactly what I wanted or needed first thing in the morning, but one hell of a lot more effective than the alarm on my cell phone!!! I went into the Giant and used one of my Starbucks 'VIA' instant coffee packages, (I gotta admit, they got it right, when properly mixed and sweetened you cannot tell it is instant!). I was going to buy some food for a sandwich, or some breakfast of some sort but it so hot out that it is way too hot to eat outside, even in the shade, and I am worried about spoilage. I decided to see what and where I'll be doing and going today before I shop, and to tell the truth the heat, even the short walk from the shed to the Giant to the library tends to affect the appetite. And walking and waiting for a bus after eating in this heat is no fun either. If I go to the Starbucks in Mt. Washington I may hit the Whole Foods, I don't really want to because the FoodStamps are very low and they are an expensive place, but....who knows? I am down to my last $8.00 and eating out is not an option. I am also out of minutes on both phones for the foreseeable future, most likely until the 2nd of next month unless I get a windfall or get one of those overpowering hunches that occasionally occur, telling me to spend a buck on the Keno numbers I play, (Yeah I know...... and I usually DON'T play if I am this short, but every once in a while the feeling comes over me so strong to do so, and when I have in the past, it has been about 95% correct and a quick $25.00, so I go with the flow when it hits the flood stage...lol!), or someone buys me a phone card as an unnecessary but appreciated thank you gift. I have meds through the end of the month, when I have a doctor's appt. to get them refilled. I have 'bupes' to last me until Friday and I'll have to come up with some cash some how in the next few days to deal with that because Monkee will be out until after the 1st and I'll have to hustle up some from one of my alternative 'street level' sources, which means cash in hand and nothing 'on the arm', (that means on credit in the vernacular).

With this nasty, hot and humid weather that is forecast for at least the next 5 days I am open to any invitations or suggestions to spend some times and sleep somewhere indoors in the A/C, and I am not averse to sitting in a restaurant for a while and eating and talking if I can find a way to swing that. I was thinking last night of how I could find a place other than the library to spend as much of the daylight hours in as I could, someplace that won't wake me, roust me, hassle me, or throw me out to snooze in and then sit up all night outside when the temps. are a bit more reasonable and just read and/or watch the DVD player all night, (I have found a place to charge it while I sit at a picnic table and read that is fairly secluded and safe...but only if there is no precipitation). I am most likely spending this Thursday night at Jenn's again, as an enforcer for the inmates..aka, the grandmonsters...as she and Tom both have plans that night. That leaves me free before and after though....hint...hint....hint.....lol!

Okay, that's about it for now, back to Louis L'Amour for while, Later...........................Dave

No comments: