Tuesday, December 7, 2010

" Allan ........Again......"

Good Afternoon;
Regular readers of our blog here will recall my writing of Allan C. who I met at the Owings Mills Starbucks about a year and a half ago and to whom I became somewhat of a confidant and then pretty much of a BFF....lol. We were both in need of a male friend of the same generation, (he's only 5 years older), and similar experiences, (though he is not homeless), who we could relate to and bounce ideas off of. I lost touch with him during the 'Month Of Snowstorms' (Feb.-Mar. 2010). When I last saw him he had been operated on for a broken foot and it was noty healing well, (he is a diabetic). I ran into him at the coffee shop about a month ago and we started to catch up. After fighting an infection in his foot, he ended up losing his left leg below the knee, developed a nearly fatal MRSA infection, went into kidney failure, pulled out of it through dialysis, was fitted with a prosthetic leg and foot, went through physical rehab, was discharged, lost his mother (to a stroke or heart attack..?), and was 2 days out of the nursing home/rehab when I saw him. We were in contact for a week or so and the last time I saw him was at Whole Foods as he was sitting in the cafe' with his head on the table. He said he had fallen on a stone, he is using a walker still, but he would be okay. That was a month ago. It turns out he broke his humerous in 26 places!! He has had surgery and a plate in his arm, but he met me at Starbucks last night and gave me a ride back to the shed and we sat and talked for an hour or so. I just saw him at the library and he says now the doctors are talking about a shoulder replacement!!, Not to mention the kidney transplant that is inevitable they said.
Holy Sh&T!!!
It keeps me in perspective about my troubles
Lateer.........Dave

No comments: