Monday, September 13, 2010

"...."I Don't Like Sundays".......&...."Of Mice And Meds".......(With Apologies To Bob Geldoff & John Steinbeck)................."

Good Afternoon;

So I left Jenn's Saturday night and caught the 11:30 pm. bus, after showering, washing clothes, cooking dinner and just hanging out with the cable while they were gone. I went into the shed and went to sleep about Midnight and was woken up at around 4:00 am. by the very heavy rain beating on the roof. I went back to sleep and was woken up again around 6:00 am. by the sound of running water, (and by the subliminal effect this had on my bladder...lol), to find the roof leaking in MORE places. I rearranged and put up some more water diversion devices made of scraps of wood and whatever so that the new leaks also fed into the holes in the walls as much as possible, and ascertained that the leaks that I did not fool with were well below my sleeping area.

I went back to sleep and woke up about 9:00 am. with the rain still pouring down, this set the tone for the rest of the day until I finally got up and out at around 2:00 pm. when the rain stopped enough to go outside and wait at the bus stop. One of the problems and reasons I don't like Sundays is that there is no longer anyplace to go in the mornings without having to jump on the buses and/or trains. The Library will be opening again in a couple weeks, but not until 1:00 pm., so unless I have plans, the tendency is to try to sleep as long as possible.

Sunday has always been a bad day for me, as it is for most single folks I have found, especially those who like me are basically loners. It is traditionally a family day, and if you have no or are estranged from your immediate family, and do not have a circle of friends in similar situations, (which I once had, but time and distance have scattered us to the ends of the earth), you are pretty much screwed. Especially if you are older, (and not in a good place financially!), the difficulties in meeting people increase exponentially.

I ended up at the Starbucks about 4:30 pm. and there were no seats to be found, after waiting I saw a woman at one of the large tables by herself and asked to share her space. She agreed and I sat there while she was on her laptop with her work spread across 75% of the surface and read for 30 minutes until a single opened up. From then on it was musical chairs until I finally arrived at the back corner table that is 'mine'. I had a piece of steak left over from Jenn's and made a sandwich and had 'break-fast', literally around 6:00 pm.

The coffee shop closes at 8:00 pm. on Sundays and it was too wet and cool to sit outside afterwards, as I usually do, in shorts. I caught the buses back to Pikesville and stopped in the gas station then hit the shed about 10:00 pm. I read for a while, in the sleeping bag for the first time, and fell asleep with the lantern on. I woke up at 11:46 pm, (and every 90 minutes after that..THE WHOLE NIGHT LONG!!!), to the sound of a mouse scrabbling across and under the cardboard which makes up my mattress and scraping and screeching his tiny, little, incredibly noisy claws on the pieces of metal shelving behind my head....and we will not even mention the bubble wrap he was f*cking around with!

It became a dominance game between us all night and most of the morning. His weapons were size and stealth...mine were size and using a big damn stick to beat on everything in sight to try to scare the little bastard to death, since I could not get close enough to smash him flat!!! I guess it ended as a draw because I fell back asleep and woke up and got out about 11:00 am. I then hit the Giant and came here.
Add to all this brouhaha the 'occasional' side effects of my meds of sleeplessness and restlessness...and it was not a fun night. There were times I was ready and wanted to go back to sleep and just could not. I lay there half spacing out and the time passes but sleep is an unattainable goal. The end result is an aching back, fuzzy eyeballs, and a head full of mush....what a way to start a day! Between the dampness, the osteo-arthritis, the degenerative disc disease, the way my body stores stress, trauma, and depression, and what I have been told is Fibromyalgia.... I feel like 2 bags of dead mice!!!

Anyway, I'm out of here for now, it's after 1:00 pm and I want to get a real cup of coffee, if I can afford one, I have less than $3.00 cash left. Well, I'll see who's working at the Starbucks. maybe I can get my free 'refill' first...lol. And I better eat something before the acid eat away my stomach lining.

Later.............Dave

P.S. Thank goodness for 'SpellChecker'!........lol!

No comments: