Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Men At Work ............................... A Spectator Sport!"

Good Morning;

So I never did get that cup of coffee yesterday. I left here and ended up at Mt. Washington around 3:00 pm. and mixed up a packet of the "H2-Go Energy Rush" Citrus flavor in my water bottle and then drank the Mountain Dew a bit later on with my meal of day old Starbucks flatbread panini sandwiches and the assorted donuts from the previous night's treasure dive. (It's always a surprise which variety will be on top of the most accessible bag, one day it's Munchkins, the next it's bagels...yesterday it was creme filled and jelly filled, and a MAMMOTH cinnamon bun, last night it was glazed chocolate cake and plain 'old fashions'. I took an extra 1/2 dozen back to the library with me, to give to Bruce, the Pikesville equivalent of Otis from the "Andy Griffith Show" and another guy I have seen up and down Reisterstown Road, from the Plaza to Owings Mills, who I think is homeless, he's supposedly a caddy at one of the golf courses/country clubs in the area, [and there are 3 that I know of right along Reisterstown Rd. or a couple blocks off of it.]. We were taking advantage of the free entertainment of watching a crew replace the telephone/electric pole across from the library. This is a major set of powerlines here with high, medium, and low voltage cables, local service hookups, and phone, cable TV, traffic control wires and at least 6 sets of guy wires at various angles. It had more lines branching off perpendicularly and going off down Church Lane, plus at least 2 buried cables of some sort and the grounding wire (for lightning protection) heading underground. There were 4 crossbars/spreaders, (3 and 1 ... at right angles) to be mounted at the top. The way these guys manoeuvred their lift truck buckets, over and around and through the live wires was amamzing. I looked at it this morning and they are about halfway done I guess. Maybe I'll have something to watch when I get back from the fair on Thursday...lol.

I watched these guys for close to 4 hours before I started nodding out and decided to call it a night. I walked down to the gas station and Daniel let me in and I used the facilities and we talked for few minutes, then I hit the shed. This was at 2:50 am. and the shed was still hot. I aired it out as much as possible by using the door, swinging it back and forth as a primitive exhaust fan, then went to sleep. I kept getting woken up by some sort of small creature scrabbling and skittering around the walls and the roof. I don't know what it was, (most likely an opossum...[or the niebelungen]..), but the 3rd time I got up and beat on the walls with a stick...it decided that discretion is the better part of valor and scampered away across the lot, claws clicking and clattering on the asphalt, squealing and snarling in annoyance, frustration, and anger............lol.
I was again awakened by the sound and smell of idling diesel engines and the laughter and raucous chatter of a group of workmen around 7:00 am. this morning. This time they were Baltimore County Traffic Control crewmembers doing something or the other along Reisterstown Road near Old Court Rd. the shed had already gotten uncomfortably warm and I tried to get back to sleep but could not. I dozed in and out and had to get up about 8:30 am. when the Sun's rays made the temperature unbearable. I also needed to get to the bathroom and wash my face and try to rinse my eyes of the accumulated crust and dust. I have progressed to the next stage of the summer cold that the grandmonkeys gifted me with, and am dealing with the usual symptoms ranging from alternately dry or watery, itchy eyes, scratchy throat and dry mouth, post nasal drip, intermittent coughs and sneezes, et. al.......
Etcetera...Etcetera....Etcetera,..... as the King of Siam would say.
And of course each of the meds I take list some or all of these symptoms as a side effect.
And we won't even go into the gastro-intestinal delights that have been showered upon me............LOL!...(not)
Any way.... I'm still looking for that cup of coffee, which I probably won't get until I end up at Jenn's at some point this afternoon. I've got 3 donuts left but no appetite at the moment. I have $1.20, enough for a disability daypass on the MTA, and I will be able to get my monthly pass tomorrow, the 2nd, when I get my little bit of cash. I'll also be able to put some minutes on my phone and go see Monkee. Jenn said Tom did get some coupons from Food Lion so I can save $10.00 on the ride wristbands at the Maryland State Fair with Rachel tomorrow. I am spending the night at Jenn's watching the kids and doing all my laundry and bathing. We will be taking the Light Rail right to the rear gate of the Fair, (very convenient if you go).

I'll be back Friday with a play by play of our outing,

Deep Fried Oreos!!!, Snickers and 3 Musketeers Bars!!!, and...PB&Js!!! Corn Dogs, Fresh Squeezed Lemonade, Cold Draft Beer......I can hear and feel those arteries hardening already.....YUMMMMMMM!!!

Later...................Dave

No comments: