Saturday, September 11, 2010

"Tikkun Olam..................Bit By Bit........................"

Good Afternoon;
First off, did you take a minute and offer a prayer, or even just a moment of silence or quiet reflection for the victims of 9/11 and their families?
So...I met Jenn at the Giant yesterday and as she shopped I was the segundo and rode herd on the little dogies..(oops an overdose on Louis Lamour's Western stories....lol!), and I asked if I could stop by and shower and do a load of laundry. She said she was about to ask me if I could come by that evening and watch Devin while she was at soccer with Edward, so that worked out well....except for the fact that she got so excited after I said I felt like cooking something and we got so involved in shopping that I forgot to get my dirty laundry from the shed when we left....lol. I played 'Tea Party' with Devin and read, and read, and read, and read her the new/old 'Hello Kitty - Hello Halloween' book I gave her, (New Dumpster Diving Tip: the white RECYCLING dumpster behind the Pikesville library is full of discarded but still good books of ALL varietys...get 'em while they are still there, it is almost full and soon to be emptied!!!), and made Linguini with crab and shrimp in a Four Cheese Alfredo Rosa sauce.....the consensus: Damn I'm Good!!!......lol! When she got home from soccer and chaperoning Edward and his 2 little lady friends...lol!, (I foresee BIG trouble for Jenn and Tom by the time he hits his teens!), she asked if I could watch the kids again in the morning while she went out to get a dress and shoes for Tom's HS reunion tonight. Then she sweetened the pot with a bribe and said I could finish watching 'Oceans 11', (the 2001 remake...good and technically, but no match for the Rat Pack version when it comes down to sheer Style),...and spend the night. Well being a typical woman, (yeah, yeah....lighten up all you PC types....lol), she did not get back until nearly 2:00 pm. and was supposed to be at her mother's in Westminster with the kids by 1:00 pm., (and I have to be truthful and place most of the blame on Burlington's fine and competent customer service people), so I fed and washed and dressed the little darlings too. and did not get out to get my clothes to wash them as planned. So I am here now at the library killing time, and am going to go to Rite Aid to pick up my prescriptions and then to the shed to get the clothes and then to the Giant to get some more Powerade and some deoderant....and then back to the apartment after they leave for the reunion to wash and shower, and then slide out before they get back so they can have night alone for a change. I don't mind 'camping out' when the temperatures are like they have been, so it's all good.I have to call Rachel and find out how her holidays went, when I talked to her Wednesday night she was really excited and wired up from all the company over for Rosh Hashana dinner. My own High Holy days have been very low key so far, introspective and private, as is one of the main tenets of the holiday. A review and inspection of the past's years moral course and an attempt to atone and make plans of amendment for the lapses, involuntary hurts, mistakes, and deliberate negative actions made over the past year. And of course, asking forgiveness both from those wronged and of God.
The principles of Teshuvah, which means 'return' and is associated with the concept of repentance, and Tikkun Olam which means 'healing or repairing the world', come into play now more than ever. Although one may not be in a position to make big, earthshaking changes in the world, or even in one's own life. The simple things, the little day to day actions and attitudes towards others and our own selves and lives, andd how we all interact can start a chain reaction. Pass it on, pay it forward, the golden rule, call it what you will, simplistic as it seems.....it makes a difference.

My life may be far from what I dreamed it would be at this point, but it is a far, far, reach away from where I have been. Knowing that the people I love and respect, love and respect me for WHO I am, not what or where I am, makes the situation I am in much more endurable, (and I do bitch and moan at times as you well know if you have been reading for any length of time), many of my stumbling blocks may be of my own devisng, but.....I keep on stumbling forward.

May the New Year be Sweet, Happy ,and Healthy....

...............Dave

No comments: