Wednesday, March 3, 2010

"And So it Begins........AKA.......Ma NishTaNa.....מה נשתנה......."

Good Evening;
I am beginning to get feedback....fallout? LOL....from both stories. Some good, some great, some awesome, some hopeful, some thought provoking,.....and some annoying, some offensive, some incoherent, some just clueless.
Some Wise, some Wicked, some Simple, some Just Not Knowing What,.....you know,.....from All four sons.....LOL!

I left here yesterday afternoon, and it started to rain just enough to saturate my clothes and make me feel cold, clammy and uncomfortable. I waited for an hour for buses that never came, and finally caught the #59 and went back to Jenn's to pack up. It was just raw and nasty enough out that they said stay over another night....so I did. And it was a good thing too because I ended up getting sick, with some sort of combination intestinal/sinus bug....yeah, yeah, yeah, ...I know, ...that's what I get for having my head up my ass...ha...ha...ha......LOL! But seriously, I slept poorly, and my ankles ached so bad I could barely get to sleep, even though I was exhausted.

I have a tentative (now confirmed!) appointment Thursday morning with a case worker from a program that happens to be right around the corner, here is an edited and redacted snippet of the e-mail that was sent to me by the woman, who was given the Baltimore Magazine story, and decided to contact me.

"....Homeless Outreach Program. I was given a copy of your article from the Baltimore Magazine and wanted to contact you regarding our program or try to provide you with other resources if you would like them.

I’ll start off by telling you a little about our program. We’re a case management service that tries to link people experiencing homelessness to services (benefits, employment, housing, etc). We work with individuals who have a mental health diagnosis, substance abuse history, domestic violence victims, veteran status, or an HIV/AIDS diagnosis. We work with people (individuals or families) living on the streets or in a shelter. We don’t have housing for clients per se, but we try to help them to find housing keeping in mind what their income and wants are (shelters, transitional, rooms for rent, apartments, etc)....."

Who knows, maybe for once it will be a case of the round peg in the round hole for a change. There has been one legitimate contact made to me filtered for privacy through the editors of the JT, but the problem is that the person who made the offer must have read the story, and either not read, or only skimmed the blog, because the job offer was for work I can no longer physically do.

This brings up a subject that I have both personal and anecdotal experience with, that of people who have offered help in some form, that the offeree refuses for some legitimate reason, and the offerer responds with anger, scorn, disgust, or sarcasm. Making comments to the effect of..."You must not really want/need/be....."
Choose appropriate category:
A Job
Shelter
Food
####
*Homeless*
**Hungry**
ETC.
...said commenter being unaware of the reason for the non-acceptance of the offering...(or condition)
Again, Choose where appropriate:
Physical Inability/ Lack of Skills/Tools/Papers/Clothing-Needed
Safety Of Neighborhood
Personal And Property Security
Lack Of Refrigeration/Cooking Facilities/Storage; Dietary Restrictions
####
*Too--Bodily Clean/Recently Shaved/Laundered*
**Just Ate/Have Enough For Needs**
ETC.
...forms false conclusion without complete set of facts, based on attitude that the offeree should have no opinion, choice, lattitude, or knowledge of own needs, limitations, or abilities.
ATTENTION<<^>>IMPORTANT
That is not to say that I experienced this attitude or intolerance in this particular situation!!!
AND IT IS ACKNOWLEDGED
That some people out there ARE lazy and greedy, ignorant and ungrateful, with an overblown sense of entitlement!!!
But sometimes, the 'patient' has as much right to participate in the diagnosis and treatment as the 'doctor' !!!
The preceding tangential editorial opinion was included as a free bonus with today's post, no extra charge, all rights reserved, no deposit-no return, no shirt/no shoes--no service, no time like the present, all's well that ends well, no coupon required, close cover before striking, strike while the iron is hot, 3 strikes and you're out, out of sight-out of mind, a mind is a terrible thing...................................to waste, waste not want not, not a moment too soon, sooner or later, better late than never, never on Sunday, never let 'em see you sweat, horses sweat-men perspire-women glow, shine little glow worm shimmer shimmer, shimmy shimmy koko bop, coo coo for cocoanuts....call me candy bar...I'm half nuts...............see ya ........Dave












No comments: