Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"Paper Work.......................Paper Jam............................Paper Shredder........................................Confetti.................

Good Evening;

The article below is so very true, and it is not only Section 8 that has the reams of repetitive paperwork and questionnaires and interviews.

DSS, SSA, DORS, and the rest of the alphabet soup of agencies, public, private, secular, and religious everywhere one goes.

And not just housing ,.....food, medical, drug treatment; ......waiting lists to get on waiting lists, ......built in multiple denials before presenting one's case to a human who can make an actual decision, deadlines missed and begging for 'good cause extensions'--due to letters and/or notifications received the day before or AFTER a deadline for filing, and notifications of a deadline being printed and mailed out on the DAY OF the deadline.....and DATED SO ON THE LETTER!!!, (this just happened to Jenn last week, one of my emergency babysitting days), denial of receipt of an application or request/directive for more information being received......when one has the USPS registered/certified retuirn receipt in hand.....and on and on ad nauseum.

And then there are things like being told you have been deemed eligible for a service or benefit, but there are no available slots, and there will not be any at anytime before your eligibility will expire and you will have to apply again.....and be put on the bottom of the list because you were deemed eligible and did not use/accept/partake of.....whatever it was you were applying for........even though it was impossible to do so.
Can you say "Catch - 22" boys and girls.


The most bureaucratically disheartening thing I have ever personally felt was 12 or 13 years ago when I had hit rock bottom, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually from heroin addiction and homelessness, and literally had one foot in the grave. I knew I either had to get help or I was going to die, if not from the drug directly, then from the inability to continue living the way I was and the pain and the shame that had become so unbearable the only escape I could fathom was to end my own life. I scraped up enough money, (through some nefarious ways and methods that now make me cringe to think how far I had fallen and how close to totally losing my soul I had come to!), and got enough dope to get myself 'out of the gate' and 'well' or no longer 'ill', as it known on the streets, or just barely enough (for me! ) to be functional.....(of course at the time it took as much to just be 'well' as 3 of us used to shoot up in a weekend!) There was going to be an 'outreach' van from one of the substance abuse rehabilitation and prevention organizations that acted as a clearing house and pre-screening conduit to the actual programs at a nearby corner to one of my 'areas of operation' that morning, (it was a Friday), and I forced my self to show up. I ended up sitting on the porch of an abandoned rowhouse for 3 & 1/2 hours before I could build up the courage to go in, but eventually I did.

Now.......I gotta tell ya, the thing that brought me 'in out of the cold' was one of the taglines this organization used and plastered all over the city at the time;
"The Time Is Now! Immediate Help! MedicalTreatment Fast! Free Placement".
Well, an active addict lives in the moment, and immediate gratification is the byword.
After I went inside and was 'pre-interviewed', filled out a ream of forms and releases, and peed in a cup and tested positive at a level high enough to meet their criteria......
the REAL interview and paper marathon began. I was also briefly vetted by an MD. and a Psy.D. to certify that I was medically and mentally eligible, not about to die on the spot, nor likely to go 'postal' anytime soon.....(little did they know... :-( !).
3 hours after I went in....{and 2 hours after the little bit, (again...to me at that point in time), of dope had worn off and I was crawling out of my skin and going out of my mind}....one of the women in charge of placement...(and I forgot to mention that from the moment I walked in and at regular and frequent intervals during the whole process I was asking for and receiving confirmation that.....YES! if I was approved, ["and don' you worry none hon, itz obvious you gone be level A1 priority"], I would automatically qualify for a bed. Which I responded to with, "Right away, right?, I'll be able to get a ride from here won't I? I'm packed like the flyers said, ready to be searched and everything too." .........the very idea of not having to go out for another night of "acquiring unclaimed objects" for the pawn shop in the morning, or helping people perform ''involuntary withdrawals and cash transfers", or performing a public service by teaching suburban/rural, white bread, county, yuppie and/or yuppie puppie narcotic dilettantes the tangential dangers of drug abuse by illustrating the fact that a.) "you can't trust anyone with your money, because they either may never reappear," or b.) "if they do......you may have just ended up purchasing confectioner's sugar or flour at rates that extrapolate out to $40,000 @ pound", ....AND....not having to be or worry about being "ill" again another morning, was the only thing keeping the steaming, scalding, nearly boiling over pot of my emotions and barely suppressed, twitchy, ready to blow physical pain, frustration, and anger from exploding into a mindless meltdown of volcanic proportions.....or so I believed.
So one of the placement people comes over to me in the corner where I'm sitting alternately freezing and sweating, with mouth and rectum clenched tight desperately fighting being 'ill', praying they'll finish up and tell me where I am being sent so I can get THERE as soon as I can and begin to fill out THEIR forest load of paper and get some Methadone, (the most prevalent 'substitution drug at that time) in me, so I can 'feel normal', and says to me with a big smile, "Good News! We got you a slot right here in town...."ring ring......went the phone"......"uh huh, uh huh, okay....well alright , thanks, that's fantastic! bye now".... "Even Better News, there has been a cancellation, and you are at the head of the list now for the very next bed.....when it becomes free in 2 weeks!! that's the shortest wait ever!"
"WTF" I shouted, you've been telling me for 3 hours..."today or tonight--today or tonight"... that I would be "IN A PROGRAM" !?!?!?!
"Well you in a program ain't chew? You can do walk-in day classes until you gets yo baid" she snarled back.
"3 Questions......Can I get medicated in this walk-in portion? Is there any Detox provided before I get a bed? And do I get 'pissed'?"
"No, no, yes."
"One more.....if I pee dirty, what happens?"
"Oh you gots to leave fo de day"
{Notice how the veneer of civility and proper English vanished quite rapidly as she angry at being challenged and pressured about the truth)
"So, I can't get ANY sort of medications, bed,or detox for 2 weeks, I can't even try to wean down myself just to keep from getting 'ill', and if I'm dirty I'm out before I'm even in?
"Well no one ever gets a bed befo 2 weeks"
"What about all the signs saying 'Immediate' & 'now'? If I could go 2 weeks by myself I'd have no need for your stupid bed!"
"Thems fo clients wif insurance, or cash.......not all y'all street trash"
"But you get paid by the Feds/State/City to help us "Street Trash"!
"Oh we gets paid to interview everbody whether we place y'all or not, but we gets paid from the programs to send thems the insurance peoples, and the insurance compnees kickback if we steer their clients their programs!"
----Sound of high heels clicking down hallway of the motorhome/van used as field office as she goes to get security guard.

----Sound of shredder as I stuffed what looked to be, (and was it turns out.....lol) 4 manila envelopes full of City/State/Fed/ & Ins. Co. checks and some sort of ready to be mailed Federal compliance report.....AND......EVERY FORM, EVERY RELEASE, EVERY FREAKIN' PIECE OF PAPER I EVEN TOUCHED into the gnashing teeth of the paper shredder....
----Click of the gently closing back door, followed by sound of a serendipitously leaving MTA bus pulling away......LOL!
(I'd like to say that there was a silver lining and a happy ending here....but, nope, it took me another 6 months to get into a detox that appeared to be legit....{HA!!!, Look up BBH in the Baltimore Sunpapers, (www.baltsun.com)!}....and by that time I had weaned my self down to the point where I could go "cold turkey", which is what happened after I walked out of BBH after 2 days of bullsh*t.
Although I guess the fact that the "Outreach Van" scam was exposed a couple months later and some folks faced Federal fraud charges, {rumor had it that the investigation was initiated by their request for the reissuing of so very many checks that were all 'accidentally lost or destroyed' from so many different govt. issuers all at the same time, and an anonymous tip that sometimes more than one jurisdiction was billed for the same client ID #}, could be considered good news.

But I have been babbling again, here is the article I'd like you to take a look at.

Barriers To Subsidized Housing Cause Homelessness
By Joel John Roberts | Jun 27, 2011

They came straggling into the conference room, situated in one of the homeless centers I oversee. You would think they would be excited, hopeful, maybe even exuberant.

Half a dozen case workers sat at the table with them going through preliminary paperwork to help them access Section 8 vouchers, subsidized rental assistance from the federal government.

The wait for these coveted housing vouchers can be multiple years, since jurisdictions around the country have only a limited supply in comparison to the thousands of people in need of housing.

These people walking in were homeless, and they literally looked defeated with eyes peering down, feet shuffling, and indifferent facial expressions. The hard years on the streets took a toll on them, defeating any sense of hope.

They did not look like eager concert goers waiting in line in hopes of landing a coveted ticket to their favorite pop singer. Instead, these homeless people were in line thinking this might be the last chance they ever have to secure permanent house.

By the end of the day, eleven people were lucky enough to appear ready to apply for housing. Of the eleven, seven people were disabled homeless seniors.

We looked at these so-called “lucky” applicants, homeless seniors who should be enjoying their golden years rather than struggling to figure out how to find housing.

Were they lucky? Maybe because they are now on the path to accessing a Section 8 housing voucher, but in reality they should not be struggling on the streets. Besides, they had just taken the first of many confusing steps in the application process.

Application Barriers

Gaining a highly demanded housing voucher means overcoming three very difficult barriers.

The first barrier is time. The application process is time consuming and long. It could take months to go through the process.

They don’t set you up in a hotel or an apartment so you can wait for your application to be approved. Instead, you’re still on the streets hiding from harm and in search of food with no idea if your application was accepted.

A laundry list of strict rules is the second barrier. You have to fit every category in order to be approved. Each local public housing authority (PHA) develops its own list. In some local jurisdictions, it means that if you struggle with alcoholism and drugs, you don’t make the cut.

If you committed some sort of crime, you’re out. You also need your driver’s license, social security card, a personal budget. You have to apply for other public benefits, like food stamps. Some Public Housing Authorities’ (PHA) ask for credit reports.

Finally, perfection is king. Any errors on an application result in failure. Going to the end of the line probably means a lifetime of homelessness. A personal interview can also be mandated, so a wrong answer could be disastrous. Checking an incorrect box or using the wrong word could also end your quest for housing.

Bureaucratic Nightmare

Subsidized housing is such a bureaucratic nightmare for people living on the streets who should have the right to be housed. How does a hurting, struggling homeless person overcome these barriers and navigate a dizzying system of rules and procedures by themselves?

No wonder homelessness persists in this country. You practically need to be a Certified Public Accountant to follow the rules in a game of subsidized housing that is designed to turn people away, not embrace the neediest.

I can’t imagine how a chronically homeless person who has been languishing on the streets for multiple years and struggling with some sort of disability has any chance of overcoming the barriers of subsidized housing.

Photo credit: Staci Myers


The past couple days have been spent pretty much just trying to manage the pains in my abdomen, kidneys, back and shoulder, without using up all my meds because I really don't even have enough to last until Saturday the 2nd as it is, (and still no inkling whether my DSS/TDAP account is corrected or not, and probably won't until I call the tollfree number after Midnight Fri./Sat. at some point and see if I have a balance), and I am still sh*tting bricks, (figuratively....lol, I'm still dealing with occasional light but unexpected sneak attack of my viral passenger.

Also I've been troubled because not only am I dealing with major Gastro-Intestinal issues, as is my son-in-law Tom, Jenn's husband who I've wrote about and had to do some babysitting for....but I just found out my 'ex', Rachel's mother is in the hospital via the ER for the past couple days, and she also is having gallbladder problem and is supposed to be having it removed.....but the doctors can't and won't just yet because they don't like her bloodwork results as regards the liver function numbers.

So, except for the one night last week that I mentioned I caught up on sleep.....well, it's 5:07 am........AGAIN!, and I'm awake damnit. Yeah, and sitting at the table at Starbucks, where the coffee was doing nada, I'm sitting there slowly staring into space and nodding off.

I do want to express my deep appreciation for all the sandwiches and the croissants and coffee cake I'm being gifted with this week, it's a good thing Jenn has room in the freezer because I'm keeping these! It's my food supply this week!

Any way....sorry about the fonts and the color mess, who knows wtf is happening, it is random as hell, and I don't give a flying fcuk anymore.


Later.............................Dave

No comments: