Monday, May 3, 2010

"Don't You Dare.......You'll Put Your Eye out.............."

Good Afternoon Again;
I wanted to add this one thing before I leave the library today...(if I ever do get out of here...LOL)...
Harriet told me something today as we were leaving the restaurant today that is getting to be a commom theme and a running gag everytime I end up meeting a new person, (99.9% of the time it has been a woman saying this), mainly some variation of "
"My..(insert proper male relation, ie.; husband, father, son, brother, friend, uncle...etc.)..told me> not to do this/ that I'm crazy to do this",
This being....'meet me'!
And in every case I have ended up bonding in some way and initiating a new friendship, maybe not one where I see the person regularly, but one where something 'clicked' between us, open up new levels and possibilities to explore.
Some of the naysayers pre-formed their opinions and prejudices from either one or both of the articles in the JT or BM, focusing on my past history of addiction and prison, and some from the blog and the general stigma of my being homeless. It has gotten to the point that I can tell what is coming next when people slip into their slightly guilty confesssional mode and begin to, sometimes awkwardly and embarrassed, admit thatn they almost listened to others, Or, on the other side of the coin, ironically acknowledge the absurdity and humor of their apprehensions brought on by other's forebodings.
I can actually understand and appreciate some of the fears and cautionary feelings that would arise in some folks, Hell I would not meet me in a secluded place alone if that was what the invitation amounted to, but every first meeting has been and will be in a well traveled and lighted public place.
(For my safety and peace of mind as well as theirs...lol!)
In any case i just want to extend my thanks and gratitude to those who chose, (and choose), to meet me.
Thank you for enriching my life with your entry into my world, and for all those who decided to show their interest and concern in a material way also, with much appreciation and humility I am grateful for your compassion, and I try to continue the chain as I go on.
Times up.........................dave

No comments: