Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Pennies From Heaven"...... OR ..... "Paying It Forward, Pays Me Back"

Good Afternoon;
So why do I always end up next to the weirdos and wackos here at the library? 4 possible computers open and I get assigned either next to the evil old witch who sneers under her breath at each and every other person who sits next to her, making racial and religious slurs..against the Yeshiva boys and she is Jewish herself...LOL), or to the strange woman who moves her bag of trash every time someone she does not like sits next to her...(which is about 89.9% of the population..lol)...and talks to herself, and herself, and herself...lol!
Anyway....I slept lousy again last night, it is one of those occasional bouts of lingering insomnia that afflict me every so often for no obvious reason. They are similar to the insomnia of withdrawal and are most likely due to the changes/damages in my brain from years of addiction. It may be years between occurrences, or a few weeks; and may last a few days or a couple weeks. I had set my alarm for 8:00 am. to get up and freshen up before I met Liz from Prologue at 9:00 am. I had just fallen back to sleep when it went off and I hit 'snooze' once, and the second time I disabled the alarm with the intention of getting up but fell back asleep until she called about 9:35 am. I told her I'd call her back in 10 minutes and let her know if I was coming down there or not. After I stood up and rolled up the blankets and the bag and put my shoes and shorts on, I walked outside and saw the bus coming around the corner so I jumped right on it. When I got to Prologue 5 minutes later Liz thought I was on the phone when the receptionist called to say I was there...lol. It was pretty funny and started our day together off well, as did the quick shave and the cup of coffee she brought me....not that she shaved me...they're a full service organization, but draw the line at some personal services...(LMAO!!!).
We went to WalMart on Rt. 40 and Rolling Road, and what a difference in selection and basic cleanliness and attitude from the Owings Mills store, (which is a real dump, surprisingly). I ended up with 2 pair of shorts, 2 real nice printed pocket tee-shirts, with designs that reflect my not so secret desire to be a sail boating, island hopping, beach bum fisherman and Jimmy Buffet wannabe....(except I can't sing or play an instrument worth sh*t...but.....details..details..details.....lol!). Also a great new bag, a box of D batteries, a rechargeable LED camp lantern, and a little portable, personal, battery operated or A/C adaptable fan. I have more new clothing than I have had in 20 years, even when I was working and in a house....lol!
I helped her pick out and air conditioner she was purchasing for one of her clients whose son has Asthma real bad, (this really is one great organization, they do all that is possible for their clients, and instead of just "saying no we can't" when difficulties arise with permission or clearances...they say "let's see how we can relabel, or reapply, or reword the request, or flex the rules and regulations in our favor".
I am really and truly grateful that Marybeth and Stu saw the stories and contacted me.
Last night I stopped by the dumpster and shared a donut feast with another homeless guy in Pikesville, his name is Barry and he is the one who I have called 'RainMan', from the Tom cruise movie of the same name.
I ended up giving him my bus tokens and a couple dollars so he could get some WonTon soup.
out of time....later......Dave

No comments: