Monday, July 26, 2010

"Deep Fried And Schadenfreude!................................"

Good Morning;
Wow, can you believe it? 81 degrees at 9:00 am., break out the thermal underwear!!!..lol!
How about this past Saturday, (24th), 105 degrees and a heat index between 110 and 115 degrees!! When I walked out of the library to head over to Jenn's just after Noon there was an elderly woman using a walker exiting at the same time. As we stepped out of the doors and walked about 3 paces towards the parking lot we left the shade of the portico and the draft of cooler air escaping from the lobby, the heat struck us with an almost physical blow and the blazing sun was actually painful on the skin. We took 2 more steps and the woman seemed to wilt and shrivel up, and she started to collapse within the framework of her walker. As I reached over to support her, her (adult) children jumped out of the car in the disability parking space where they were waiting for her and we took her back into the library and sat her down in a chair in the A/C. Someone brought her a cup of cold water and a wet towel and she revived quite rapidly. It was the sudden rise in temperature of at least 30 degrees and the shock to the system that it produced which caused the reaction. I got on the bus after I saw she was okay and with family and headed down to the Reisterstown Road Plaza. After walking through the mall I was crossing the asphalt parking lot in front of Home Depot to get to Jenn's apartments. Some jerk decides to 'peel out', spinning his wheels as he accelerated away, nearly hitting some guy rolling a cart of plywood to his truck. Of course with the extreme temperatures there were 2 long gouges in the parking lot surface where the asphalt was close to 160 degrees from the absorbed heat and sunlight. What the idiot did not stop to consider was that with front wheel drive all the semi-liquid bits and pieces of tar, and fine near gaseous spray, and the chunks of jagged aggregate would be spewed all down the side of his nice (formerly) white luxury SUV.....ROTFLMAO!!!!
Anyway, I showered and had a meal at Jenn's and played with the kids for a while. Tom was DJing a wedding reception and was scheduled to spin until 6:30-7:00 pm., but it was so hot in the hall the they asked him to wind it up around 5:00 pm. When he came home he and Jenn took the kids out to see 'Despicable Me' and I just hung out in front of the TV. When they came home around 10:15 pm. I was getting ready to leave and he told me to just spend the night, since it was still in the upper 90s outside. So I Did!
On Sunday after Jenn made pancakes and cheesy eggs I took the train and the bus to Barry's and picked up the bupe he had gotten for me, talked for a short while and took the bus and train back to Jenn's. I could not figure out for a while what seemed different about the trip, and why it seemed much easier...then it hit me I had left my bags at Jenn's, and the uphill walk on Monument St. in front of Johns Hopkins Hospital was just annoying and exhausting because of the heat and the normal aches and pains of my rapidly deteriorating and disintegrating skeletal structure..without the added weight of my meager, (but damn heavy...lol) possessions.
Although the temperature at this point, (Noon), was only....(ONLY!!!.....HA!)....98 degrees the dewpoint and humidity were through the roof and my skin felt as if it oozing salted oil. I got back to Jenn's and collapsed, once I had scraped and defoliated, and drank about a gallon and a half of Powerade Zero and ice water.
Jenn asked me if I minded watching the kids for a while so she could get out with a friend, (Tom was DJing), so I said sure. I did a sink full of dishes, stooping frequently to sit down and rest my back and legs, then showered and did 4 loads of laundry, again slowly, my back has been troubling me severely for some reason and not only can I not sleep, I am so low on 'bupe', (1/2 of 1 tablet to last for the next 2 days, until I find some money somehow), that I cannot take the needed extra dose I usually am able to on occasion. Anyway about 9:30 pm. Jenn texted me and said she was picking up kitty litter, (I also had emptied the cat box and took out 3 loads of trash), and milk and that Tom was on the way home and she would be there shortly after. I texted her with the line from the clash...."should I stay or should I go now"...and she said I was welcome to stay the night again. It had thunderstormed but not as severely here as we saw on TV, and the rain was not that heavy so all it did was lower the temperature a few degrees and raise the humidity at that point.
I have a 2:00 pm appointment today with Shelly, my caseworker from Prologue, about a letter from S.S.A. that she did not want to discuss in an e-mail, which I can only imagine to be...BAD NEWS!!!...I hope I am wrong, but,...the way my luck runs in thing of this nature???
Anyway...I am using the laptop in the living room and Edward is having hissy fits because he cannot come in here and watch TV because the cords are all over the place and he is as observant as a blindfolded bat with earmuffs.
I'm outta here for now to get some breakfast, then shower.....
Later...........................Dave

No comments: