Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Little Blessings...........Or.............Taking The Hard Edge Off The Big Picture........."

Good Afternoon;

So...when I left here yesterday things were on the gray side. Out of money, Foodstamps, and meds, and having received that denial notice from S.S.A.

I stopped at Jenn's and searched through my old bag and then my new bag looking for the court summons to double check the date, time and judge's name. It is an obvious fact that when you find something it is "in the last place you looked"...(duh.....lol)... and in this case it truly was.

The very last envelope in the very last plastic bag in the bottom of my newer shoulder bag....and I almost started with this bag, but I thought, nah...I'm pretty sure I put it in the old bag. Just goes to show that I should not think about things but go with the first feeling, idea, impression, or hint of intuition. In any case I found what I needed to know and e-mailed my caseworker Shelly from the laptop. I then proceeded to the kitchen and began to prepare a ham and turkey sandwich from the lunch meats I had purchased, (at a deep discount because of the 'sell-by' date and then an additional $2.00 off), on Sunday when Edward and I walked to the Giant. The ham was okay on Monday, but the exposure to the air must have accelerated the rate of spoilage, and after I washed a piece off and took a taste...then quickly went into the bathroom and spit it out in to the commode and rinsed my mouth with some Listerine.

Funky does not begin to classify the taste and texture, (somewhat akin to boiled rubber dipped in bilge water). The turkey was in better shape, and I knew that this particular brand was somewhat rubbery anyway....(hey..at around $3.00 a pound I'm not gonna argue....lol)....but there was only 2 slices left, so I ended up cleaning out Jenn's 'fridge by eating the single bite bits of this and that weren't green, fuzzy, or animate.


Jenn took the kids over to her friends house and the pool, and I did my usual thank you task of washing the sink full of accumulated dishes, (and it took a good while, I can't stand and bend and reach for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time anymore before I have to sit down and rest my back and my feet, this seems to be getting worse and S.S.A. is trying to tell me I can do the work I used to do...FINE, let Them find me an employer who will pay me a living wage for the ability to get 4 hours work done in an 8 hour workday, but I digress......), and sweeping up the dog hair,....if it wasn't so damn filthy and stinky, and mixed half and half with flaked and powdered skin...(and don't get me started about taking the dog to the vet!!!)...I'd send it all to the Gulf and BP would be able to soak up all the spilled oil in a week!

Tom came home about 5:30 pm. and I went over to the Metro station and caught the bus to Mt. Washington and the Starbucks.
Ian, who works behind the fish counter at Whole Foods gave me a gift card with what he thought was about $6.00 left on it..(turned out to be $6.66....hmmm so that's why it was such a vile, poisonous, acid green card.....lol), and when I went to the Deli counter to get some meat for a sandwich, my friend Dave used his discretionary fund ability to write N/C on the price tag, so I ended up paying only $0.89 for the bagel to make the sandwich, and $1.59 for a peach muffin, [which was really good!!!],(and change the numbers on the card...lol). I sat outback until almost 10:00 pm. {and the sky was still not completely dark} and ended up grabbing a couple turkey & swiss sandwiches, and a ham and swiss panini out of the bag when the garbage was set out, (still sealed and dry and off the top of the pile in a clean bag), so food for today and tomorrow, (and I have to start a fast/clear liquid diet at Noon Thursday anyway, in preparation for my 'procedure'), is taken care of.


I took a couple buses back to Pikesville and Daniel at the gas station bought 5 bus tokens from me for $5.00, which I had planned to use to scare up another 'bupe', which would have lasted me until Saturday afternoon. When I was in the Giant this morning shaving, then trying to power wash with paper towels, (I felt THAT cruddy because it got THAT warm and sticky in the shed so, early this morning. I slept really badly last night because i screwed up on the times that I should have taken my meds and took them too close to the time I wanted to sleep, and even though I was nearly passing out as I sat on the bench outside the library trying to finish the last 4 pages of a book so I would not to have to carry it around another day,...as soon as I left the gas station...(for the second time, the first time I walked off with the bathroom key because it is no longer on a 3 foot piece of plastic molding....lol!)...and got the shed set up with my sleeping arrangements I could not get comfortable or back to sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time, and lay awake most of the night...but I'm off on a tangent again...lol.), I thought.."Why not give Monkee a call just for sh*ts and giggles", and when I did, she said to come right over as she was getting ready to leave for work. I jumped on the bus and the train and the bus and got over to her house about 11:00 am. we had a chance to sit and talk and she let me have 3 tablets until I get my little bit of cash on Monday the 2nd of August., which is a great relief, because i don't know if I'm going to feel like sitting on hard bus and train seats and running around this Saturday...Oh!....that's right!!!, I just remembered..I am watching the grand kids on Saturday morning for Jenn and Tom...well that is another reason to be thankful I don't have to worry about running some 'bupes' down on Saturday also.

And I have $5.00 in cash along with the $4.16 on the Whole Foods card...(the sandwiches are gone already...lol).

The 'big picture' on the TV screen of my life may still be rolling and out of focus, but these little blessings act as the vertical hold and sharpness controls that stabilize it for a short while. (And we're talking about a big, bulky, old school, black & white, analog, vacuum tube, rabbit ears, no remote, slap it on the side with the flat of your hand to stop the buzzing, console set here.... not one of you're cutting edge, flat screen,true color, LED, High Definition, digital, satellite controlled, internet capable, computer compatible units!

And some other happy news is that when Jenn and the family head...
"downy oshun...hon!!"
between the 8th and the 13th of August...Rachel and I will be petsitting, and she will be sleeping over all or part of the week. We will have a chance to just spend some true quality time together!!
Well I gotta go, times up...
I guess I'll head over to the coffee shop...
Still crazy....still grateful....
Dave









No comments: