Saturday, July 24, 2010

"In The Heat Of The Night........................"

Good Morning;
At 8:00 am. I was forced to get out of the shed due to the heat, (where I was not planning to spend the night in the first place but was so tired at 2:00 am. I HAD to lay down, and could not deal with the walk up to the cemetery carrying my bags and sleeping gear where I had planned to crash under the trees on the outskirts of the property. Which turned out to be a good thing in one respect when I had to run to the gas station to use the restroom at 3:00 am.), and the lack of breathable air due to the combined funk emanating from the shed and my own body. I had left Jenn's house about 11:30 pm. last night, and had just showered, by the time I walked to the subway station a few hundred yards away, I was soaking wet again. I rode the train up to Owings Mills and the bus back down to Pikesville just to take advantage of the A/C, then sat outside the library until close to 2:00 am. when I could not sit up any longer and when I tried to lay down on the slatted metal, too short bench...it just didn't work.
My shirt was soaked through by the time I got to the Giant this morning and I thought I would freeze to death when I went in to wash up. By the time I finished my morning ritual and made my cup of (pretty good single serve new process Nescafe instant coffee, taking advantage of the free sugars, etc. and the extremely hot water from the tap), and left there the shirt had dried, but when I stepped outside the heat hit me like a slap in the face and by the time I staggered to the library I was wet again. And it's only going to get worse today, 100 degrees or more and heat indices of 105-110 degrees.....and the library closes at 5:00 pm., (which I find is the worse part if the day...with the combination of air temperature, slanting , glaring, eyeball searing rays of the sun, and the stored heat of the bricks, asphalt, parked cars, etc. begins to radiate), and I've no place to go. I'd go down to the Harbor and hang out by the fountain that you can play in, but the effort of getting down there and the waiting on the bus stops in the heat is counterproductive.
I'm down to the last pair of Jockeys and no money for laundry....at least if I have to wash them in a sink, it will take no time at all to line dry them. This weekend, next week and the following weekend are going to be one long haul. I'm down to rock bottom in every category, meds, food, cash.
The dangerous heat levels are not helping things either. The attitudes and actions of people on the buses, the trains and the street are bordering on the homicidal, patience and tolerance are almost nonexistent.On the bus yesterday,...with no working A/C..., I saw a woman, in her mid 20s, screaming at her kids, ages about 2 and 3, who were hot and tired, and this other woman, an older lady, 50+?, tried to gently and politely intervene by asking if she could help with the kids....and the younger b*tch pulls out a razor and starts brandishing it in the lady's face. The older woman slams her in the face with her pocket book and takes the razor away and drops it out the window, and proceeds to tongue-lash the mother until she was a cringing pile of jelly cowering in the seat. The kids were staring big-eyed and sucking their fingers as the bus driver stopped the bus and came back. The younger woman grabs the kids and the stroller and her bags and runs out the back door and the whole bus starts applauding the older lady, who was still running on adrenaline, and mumbling about "how no nappy headed, crack smokin', baby's mam-baby's mama, is going to disrespect her.....mumble, mumble...."
I'm out of time for now, I'll probably be back later, it looks like I'll be here all day...unless somebody invites over.
It's not the daytime that is so bad, it's the late afternoon and the night that is beating me up right now.
Later...Dave

No comments: