Friday, April 9, 2010

"Synchronicity...............Perspective..................Sympathy.................Empathy..................Righteous Indignation........"

Good Morning;

We've all used the phrase 'I was just thinking about you/her/him' when someone calls or talks about a person, but it is usually in a figurative sense, and we mean sometime in the recent past. Well I was sitting in the sunshine, but out of the wind on the side of the library eating my breakfast and thinking of my friend Allen and how to find out which medical facility he is in and how he is doing and how to contact him, and if I could do anything to bring him comfort. When at that very moment a woman walking in to the library with her grandson stops, turns, and asks.."Are you the guy who writes the blog?" It turns out she is Allen's sister, who I have met once in passing and Allen introduced us.


She told me he is now in St. Agnes Hospital, in sepsis from kidney failure and undergoing dialysis, rushed there from Kernan Hospital , (U.M.M.S.), where he was undergoing rehabilitation related to the amputation of his left foot, which happened after he was transferred to University Hospital, (also U.M.M.S.) Shock Trauma Unit from Sinai Hospital, (all in Baltimore). He had been undergoing treatment and a skin graft on his foot due to an injury that would not heal and became infected.


DAMN!!


He is a diabetic who has been vigilant about his diet and medication, and has even lost weight through healthier eating habits, cutting out or down on all the tastes great but bad for you foods.


I mentioned in an earlier post that he had had the amputation, and had called me after I left some urgent messages on his cell phone, not having seen or heard from him in a month. The last thing I heard, he was about to be transferred to a nursing home for rehab.


This latest news is a real shock, and the fact that I LITERALLY was thinking of him at the very moment his sister spoke to me is eerie.


This is another episode that forces me to view and review my life and place in the world with a new perspective. To give thanks for the blessings I have, though they may not seem as blessings to others, and to find ways to express that gratitude. When I take a look at the past 4 months and the changes that have occurred and the opportunities that have arisen, and realize that within the same time frame he has been going through hell, I have to stop and take a deep breath.


It is easy to live in the moment and accept the gifts and friendships and relationships I now have, that take so much of the sting out of the lack of creature comforts and physical shelter, and though you, loyal reader, may find it hard to believe if compare your socio-economic level to mine, it is easy for me to slip into a state of hubris regarding what I have, forgetting to show gratitude and humility.

And in that same vein, I want to ask you google Matthew and Albert Snyder, and read about the injustice done them by the sick twisted "westboro baptist church" and "fred phelps" (I'll be damned before I capitalize these assholes) their leader,who celebrated the death of (Matthew), an American soldier killed in Iraq, by desecrating his funeral and burial by demonstrating and waving signs stating 'thank g-d for dead soldiers' and shouting out that it is g-d's punishment of America for condoning gays. Read about his (Albert's), resulting lawsuit, and the overturning of the verdict in his favor by The Supreme Court, plus, adding insult to injury, his (Albert, the father), being ordered to pay some of these sick f*cks court costs!!!!!
(or go to the link below)
(but google them also to get a bigger picture from other sites)
I have been angry and offended by these sick f*cks for a good while, but the Supreme Courts totally screwed up decision 2 weeks ago has set me off. I tried to write something about this for a while but have not been able to stay calm and coherent enough until now. I could live with, though not like or agree with, overturning the lower courts decision on free speech grounds, (and I cannot deny their right to their opinion, but I can deny their methods), but to ask the man to PAY the people who desecrated and violated this young man's funeral, who abused and violated a father's last farewell to his son is just wrong on any yardstick you want to measure it by. I sent off a money order for $5.00 to do what I could to help defray these abusive and punitive and morally unfair expenses, and I only wish I could do more, but I'm down to my last $19.00 right now, and Food Stamps...so I am putting out the word here from my soapbox...do whatever you can to help right this grievous wrong, by whatever means you can, be it political or financial. I know at least 7 of the folks who read this regularly have children in or about to enter military service for our country.....what if it was your child, or niece or nephew, or spouse for that matter. However you may feel about the content of these assholes message..(and I am pretty certain you can tell what I think about it and them)..you have to admit their forum is dead wrong, on any grounds!
Okay, enough said, I am actually tired and sore from being up all night thinking about this, and then to hear about my friend Allen, I am emotionally drained too.
I am loose ends this weekend, so I would welcome any one's company who might want to hook up somewhere. (Please?) Write me, I'll be back here tomorrow morning for sure, and possibly later today, or call me on the '340' exchange, if you have my numbers, (I have 10 minutes left on that phone, but 0 on the '908' number), or look for me at the Starbucks in Mt. Washington later today..(and unless I get a response or some cash, most likely tomorrow and Sunday too).
In case anyone is interested, the first show, (before noon, usually between 10:15 am. and 11:45 am.) is only $5.00 at the AMC Owings Mills 17 Theatres.
(And btw, when did the Valley Centre AMC Theatres close up??)
I'm outta here...............
..............later, Dave
(p.s. thank you Spell Check....I must really be tired....Some serious transposing of letters today................
'a whole lotta shakin' goin' on'
.....LOL..........D.

No comments: