Saturday, April 17, 2010

"Once More....Over The Top............!"

Good Morning;
So the choice this morning is between spending my last dollar on a cup of coffee OR kicking both caution and common sense to the curb and placing an offering on the altar of Dame Fortune and buying a Keno ticket. The coffee machine at the Giant is not only no longer set to dispense free coffee, it is also out of order, (and there are no cups). I'll tell you how it turns out later today or tomorrow afternoon. One way or another I need some coffee. I can probably shuffle through my deck of assorted Starbucks gift cards, some of which have positive balances of $0.09 to $0.50, to scrounge up $1.50...I'll just have to make sure that there is no one behind me in line at the time as one of the barristas swipes and reads each card, one by one by one......lol.
I rode the buses over to the coffee shop yesterday evening afterr I signed off here, as you remember I was worried about getting caught in a down pour. As I walked out the doors the rain stopped suddenly and the sun came out. By the time I got to Starbucks the sky had clouded up again and of course when I finally got my coffee and the newspaper and got settled in, and the bench and table rearranged, and the DVD player opened and turned on, and everything set up and comfortable....it began to rain again. Big fat drops of water that hit and exploded in to myriads of pieces of liquid shrapnel, soaking everything in sight. I grabbed the things most likely to be damaged by water and ran in side and dumped them on the nearest table and dashed back out and grabbed the rest of my things, banging my knee and losing my balance and falling against the door frame and hitting and twisting my neck...(that had just healed!!)...in the process.
Of course the rain immediately stopped.
The Starbucks is having major A/C issues, (it was so hot at one point yesterday that one of the barristas nearly passed out at the register, as she turned a bit too quickly to serve a customer......in front of the area manager who treats all the employees as if they are merely furniture or equipment, just another part of the inventory on a computer printout.....Ah, yes...big business in America...wage slaves and corporate whores...but I digress...), and it gets pretty warm inside, even when it is not extremely hot outside, so I wiped off the bench and the table and started to move back out to the patio....when the rain began again. I guess you can see where this is going, huh? Yeah, everytime I even thought about going back out, it started to rain....then stopped after a few minutes.
I left the Starbucks at closing and took the scenic route back to Pikesville, making the connections that combined the least amount of walking between stops and having bus shelters with good enough lighting to read by. I stopped by the library and sat under the portico to finish reading the last dozen or so pages of my book, (in the rain again, and as I finished the wind began to pick up), "Ghosts Of Manhattan", by George Mann, (SF/Mystery/Crime novel--'Steam Punk' genre...not bad), then hit the shed and watched some more "Jeeves and Wooster" on the DVD player until the battery died. Another night of unrestful sleep, I spent most of it listening to the wind, as it whistled, roared, and moaned, shaking and rattling the shed and all the bits and pieces hanging off of it.
I got up about 8:30 am and as I said went to the Giant looking for coffee, no luck on that but I got a salad for breakfast and now I'm about to cruise over to Monkee's and take advantage of her generosity for a few day's worth of meds until I can find a way to raise some cash.
I feel as if the 'Big Dipper of Depression', as the emotional rollercoaster I seem to be involutarily strapped into is called..(in the front seat of the first car no less...lol), is about to start it's descent into Hell's Canyon.....hang on, sometimes it's a bumpy ride!
Later.....................Dave

No comments: