Monday, April 26, 2010

"Rain Delay...............You Lucky Dog, You............."

Good Afternoon;
If anyone was wondering...YES I GOT WET!
I left the Starbucks last night at closing. Luckily it was a lull between the downpours and I made it under the expressway and across the tracks to the bus stop, where the clouds broke open the second I stepped into the (three sided) bus shelter. I stood there about 20 minutes until the bus came and in dashing the 8 feet between the shelter and the doors of the bus...was soaked! The driver let us off at the Plaza station under the cover of the bridge across the street and I jumped on the bus that would take me up to the shed. When that bus arrived at the stop near the gas station, it was again pouring so hard you could not see across the street. I again dove off the bus and swam to the shelter. These shelters are built with sides that extend down to about 6 or 8 inches from the ground, and rain was so hard and so heavy that when it hit the ground it bounced and splashed up and under the shelters as if someone wa spraying a hose. When the deluge let up to a simple rainstorm, after about another 20 minute interval, I rushed over to the cover of the gas station canopy and went inside. I was soaking wet from the top of my head, (the hat held about a gallon of water when I wrung it out...lol), to my shoulders, damp from there to mid calf and soaked again from there on down. My pants legs were doing a fine imitation of a spomge and my new sneakers squished and squirted every time I took a step, all from less than a minutes direct exposure to the rain and the upward reflection of the raindrops hitting the ground.
After losing my $2.00 at Keno, and using the bathroom, I took advantage of another momentary lapse in the rain god's attention and slipped into the shed. After a few minor readjustments to the water gathering and redirection systems I unrolled and unwrapped my bedding.
I was all set up and laid out before 10:00 pm in the shed, and lay down and watched an hour of 'Time warp' on the DVD player before the battery began to die.
It was very peaceful laying there listening to the symphony of the rain drumming on the roof and the various tones of the drips and spashes as the leaks hit their diverters and collectors. I was up once in the early dawn hours to answer nature's call, but did not finally crawl out until almost noon today. I had no reason nor motivation to move. And the fact that no matter what I wanted to do, I had to fight the rain to do it. The shed was to dim to read and the batteries in the flashlight are dead and the DVD player needs a recharge so therewas nothing to do but brood. I have a sh*tload of insights, questions, bitches, moans, and whines to expond on ...You, loyal reader, get a reprieve though, for two reasons, one I really don't feel like being here in the library...AND I'm Out of Time...
So, ...........see you tomorrow..........
..................Dave

No comments: