Thursday, April 15, 2010

"I Must Be A Mushroom --- Living In Darkness And Dampness And Being Fed Shit....................."

Good Afternoon;
Okay, the doctor wants me to chart my blood pressure over the next 2 weeks.
Rather than trying to carry around a sheet of paper, and of course not being able to find it and starting another sheet and then finding it after a few days...etc., I'm going to do it here...lucky you...lol.

Monday's avg.-----145/98
Tuesday's avg-----140/90
Wednesday's avg.-140/85
Thursday's avg. ---142/75

I started the Lisonpril/HCTZ on Thursday of last week, the BP before I began had averaged 145/110, so the diastolic, (minimum) pressure has steadily declined.I have been checking it in the Giant on the free automatic sphygmomanometer, (Gee, I love that word..lol!!), and while it may not be as precise as the measurements from the doctor's office, (though now that I think back, both doctor's technicians/nurses got wrong readings of 'normal'..120/80..and when I told the doctor she, in both cases..lol, got a measurement more in line with my averages...hmmm?), it is extremely consistent and will illuminate any trends.

So, last night after I left the Starbucks, after spending the afternoon at Jenn's being a combination nanny, chef, and laundress, I slipped into the shed just out of sight of the local gendarmes as they drove around the corner....(they have to wondering where I disappeared to.....lol). My flashlight batteries gave up the ghost even before I could get the door closed so I was working blind as my eyes had not yet adjusted to the darkness. I got the bar in place and headed back to the rear, wishing I was either a mole or a bat, with the proper sensory receptors for working in the dark. I ALMOST remembered exactly where the two separate step ups, and the overhead low hanging drainage board was...Ow..Oww..Owww! At least the knot on my head cancels out the stubbed toes...........LOL! I finally made it to my sleeping area without permanent damage...(though who would be able to tell....lol!)...and pulled out the DVD player and opened the screen and turned it on....Let There Be Light!! Of course I had no movies, but it was enough light to read by for an hour before the battery died.

I now have to be sure I charge it somewhere and decide whether it is more important to buy a pair of D batteries at the dollar store, or hold on to the 3 dollars that I have left. Decisions...decisions.....lol!

I just checked out 2 DVDs, 'Napoleon", a history/biography A&E series, and "Jeeves and Wooster" , the P.G. Wodehouse stories, also from A&E. Now I have 25 hours of video to watch and use a light fro the next 12 & 1/2 nights..(2 hour battery life...lol), which should keep me until I am able to (hopefully) cash the check or money order from the synagogue I am supposed to speak at on the 25th. Food is OK, with the Stamps I have left, now I have to figure out where to get some bucks for my meds when the 'bupe' runs out on Saturday, and coffee money 'til then too.

I am not expecting any other monies until May 2nd..(IF my recertification process is not screwed up this Friday).
I am meeting with Liz for a couple hours tomorrow morning before we go to D.S.S., to fill out MORE paperwork for the S.S.I. claim. That is how S.S.A. sets the system up, so people get so tired of all the forms and repetition and 'lost' paperwork, and revised questionaires, and building in 2 denials automatically, that folks just give up. Like I have before....but not this time, thanks to having an advocate who is familiar with the system.
I received an e-mail today from someone who tried to give me some clothing a few weeks ago. It was an Orthodox Jewish person, commonly known by themselves and others as 'Frum', and the clothing was typical of the 'unofficial uniform' of these folks; white dress shirts, black trousers, vest, and suit coat. Besides the fact that the clothes were not very clean, and that some were ripped, frayed and stained, they were of a synthetic blend, polyester and other fibers, which is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, and generally ill fitting. On top of that, the waist MAY have fit me, (I looked at the size tag, I was not abouit to try them on), the previous owner was about 6 inches shorter than I was.
I declined, (I thought gracefully and courteously), thanking this person, and suggesting that someone in Their community might be better off served by the donation, than I would. The individual stormed off in a huff and I have been getting anonymous comments and dead-drop e-mails ever since (which I have not chose to publish) of an insulting and denigrating nature, accusing me of scamming everyone and not really being homeless and being an 'elitist snob'.
Hmmm....I may well be a bit of an elitist snob in some cases, such as choosing not to look like a tasteless geek in my clothing choices, and electing to avoid certain segments of society that I have little in common with...rich, poor, homeless or not... I'll own up to that. It is my perogative to say no if I want to, to associating with people who I dislike, for any reason, and to accepting someone else's trash that they are offering as a gift to please their own ego, or salve their own conscience.
Yes I do accept most things that most folks so kindly offer, but I believe, and I think that I am being honest, that I do not abuse their generosity or take undue advantage of anyone. There have been occasions where I told people I was okay, and refused a meal, or a drink, or (rarely, I'll admit to this, but I have), cash; when I felt that the person has done too much for me, and I have felt guilty, (justified or not), at taking anything else at that time.
Just because I, or any homeless person refuses a gift here, and accepts another there, does not mean that we are ungrateful or overly picky.
It is not a crime to have either pride, self respect, or taste.
And there is also the matter of safe food storage, or just a place to store things at all. Many of us just don't have one.
We are not a quick and easy dumping ground or a doll for you to dress up to show off to everyone.."Oh look over there, I gave him those clothes...wasn't that nice of me"
Yeah, can you tell somebody pushed my buttons on something....lol.
On a different note.
I want to Welcome Follower # 22, Kelly....nice of you to sign on.
I'm heading to the BMA on Sunday!
And still a different note, I see that the JT has filed for a reorganization/bankruptcy protection.
Let's support them as much as possible, if you view it online, buy a copy once in a while, or even subscribe...you can't beat the rates....less than a $1.00.....yes!! less than a dollar.....an issue for a yearly subscription!!
Damn, it's 3:00 already, I'll see you later. If not tomorrow, (Prologue, D.S.S., and the library closes at 5:30 pm.), Saturday morning.
See you.....................Dave



No comments: