Sunday, April 25, 2010

"613.....+1............................."

Good Afternoon;
So this morning I got to sit with a bunch of fourth graders, aged 9-10, and tell them a little about being homeless, some reasons why folks become homeless, and some things that they at their level could do to help a homeless person, or make them feel better. Simple things such as saying hello or good day, donating socks, or making up personal hygiene bags for distribution. We then made cheerful and colorful blankets for some of the children currently at the Hannah More Center. The kids were so sincere and honest in their comments and suggestions and generated very positive overall energy. The morning started with a small service and blessings in the sanctuary with an assist form the school choir, and an explanation of why we do mitzvahs by the Rabbi, then the crowd split into about 15 or more different groups, with tasks ranging from making sandwiches to be distributed to the homeless, to making challa for a nearby seniors home, to potting and planting flowers and trees, to cleaning a stretch of roadway, to helping to clean up the grounds of two fire stations, to helping collect vegetables for and then feed them to a the horse on a horse rescue (?) farm, and so on, and so on. A most diverse set of deeds benefiting the people and community in Owings Mills, Reisterstown and Baltimore.
I had thought I was also going to speak to a group of adults but that did not occur. A young man who teaches at the fourth grade level in the religious school, Jake, picked me up at Jenn's and then dropped me back off about noonish. There were about 300 or more people who showed up, and some other who I understand went directly to their chosen sights. At least half were children and a festive and enthusiastic atmosphere enveloped everyone. I feel honored and proud to have been part of this event, and felt very much at home with the crowd, a cross section of modern conservative Judaism, varied and inclusive, embracing rather than denying contemporary styles and ideals while remaining true to our traditional morals and heritage.
I was met and welcomed by the synagogues youth co-ordinator, Sheri Knauth and made to feel very comfortable and accepted, and we agreed to keep in touch via e-mail and this blog.
I'm out of time, AND this is the last Sunday that Pikesville Library will be open until October, so I'll see you tomorrow......................Dave

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that its great that you get to a computer being homeless. When I was on the street I didn't know how to turn one on, I have learned though. It is so hard to stay clean on the streets, constant boredom, at least the drugs gave me something to do, but as you know they aren't the answer. Keep sticking with you family because thats all we got, and keep making good choices, move at your own pace and you'll get it write, i'm not all the way there but its coming, be easy and god bless you.
Keep writing,
Mark